Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My '81 took a hit and I ended up with a nice hole right in the center of the top of my hull. I confess I've just started researching the best fix, but I thought I'd toss it up here.

Quote:
The best is to get inside the hull and get a couple of layers bonded directly to the inner glass. If this is not accessable from the inspection port, you can cut away the broken glass and cut a small hole. Sand the inside area. Cut a piece of cardboard that you can insert into the hole, turn sideways and pull down against the inner glass. Before inserting the cardboard, wet out some glass cloth on the cardboard and get a string and a stick. Tie the string to the stick and poke a hole in the center of the cardboard and glass. Pass the line through the hole. (With the stick on the opposite side from the resin wetted glass.) Insert the assembly, turn and pull down with the string to set the glass and cardboard against the inner glass of the hull. When it hardens, you can build up layers of glass on the outside to fill the hole. Finish with a larger piece that will overlap the sides of the hole area.

Last edited by Doc Thirst on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ouch! Must have been a nice storm. If you would send a private email address to [email protected] I've got some photos which will help guide you with the repair. The hardest part I can see is matching the gelcoat color & non skid texture. Are you by chance an HCA member, and are you receiving their HOTLINE magazine? There are some repair articles which might be of help. If there is a good plastics (fiberglass & resin) company near by, you might be able to get them to match it. Otherwise you could send some of the chips to Spectrum and see if they will match it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I boogered up my email address...it's [email protected] (forgot the "s" again).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have fixed Hobies with similar issues. I have pictures and a write up on what I did. You can e-mail me. Similar to what Matt said.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fantastic! I'll take all the suggestions I can get. I picked up some glass cloth and resin yesterday so I'm ready to get started (and back on the water). I'm not concerned about matching the color, but I do plan to attempt redoing the texture or at least get close enough to fool myself at a distance...might be a pipe dream. Anyway, hit me up when you fellas have time, I'm at [email protected]