Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reviving an old thread.
I went sailing last week in some pretty high winds, so I reefed the sail. Worked well, as always.
Then it occurred to me to look for a used sail, and have it cut down by a sailmaker. Might as well have a purpose built sail, since I always reef before I set out.
Has anyone done this? Had a sail recut for high winds?

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven't you found that you need the reef going to weather but don't need it coming back downwind? I think that's why most folks prefer a reef to a purpose built sail.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
Haven't you found that you need the reef going to weather but don't need it coming back downwind? I think that's why most folks prefer a reef to a purpose built sail.

I sail on inland lakes, so I'm upwind and downwind all the time. And shaking the reef out on the water would be more work than I want to do. I passed up a sail with a zipper reef a few years ago, but recently the thought of just a cut down sail occurred to me.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm assuming everyone that added reef points on their stock getaway mainsail does so above the second batten, is that right? I'll probably do this to my sail and want to confirm that's best spot if only adding a single reef. (Seems like above first batten would be pretty insignificant decrease in sail area, not enough to help if wind is blowing towards 20kts+.) And then for the clew may need something like a strong sling to both tie up sail and also attach mainsheet block to (so mainsheet isn't getting fowled up in the rolled up sail)?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put the reef where the sail leach started to curve toward the mast and so the mainsheet would still be pulling at the correct angle to sheet leach and foot properly. Rather than straps you might consider screwing a camcleat next to the clew grommet then run a line to the reefing grommet/strap. Then to reef the clew you just pull the leach down cleated through the camcleat so you never have to release the mainsheet (which is never a fun thing to do in a big wind). If you need to reef or shake out a reef frequently you might want to consider a permanent change to the mast head to allow you to use a normal halyard cleated at the mast base. My current boat reduces compressive loads by use of a 2:1 halyard cleated at the base. Not as much reduction as you get by cleating the halyard at the mast top, but probably adequate for the loads the getaway sees.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II