Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am in the midst of changing the mast base. I tried a different method to lower the mast but I couldn't keep it sideways...OK, no big deal I'll go back to using the stepperII.

Some things in this changeout process are different than what I've experienced on other boats.

1. The mast base is attached with pop rivets...that's not so different although screws worked fine in my F24 (didn't even have nuts on the back, they just made their own threads in the aluminum mast). But these pop rivets also have a "liner"...I asked the dealer about that, he says it is for folks in cold weather. But since the hole is already that big, I gotta use 'em I guess.
2. The mast base had some sort of sealant (like bondo) which made getting the old one off a bit of a chore. It may have been the previous owner who did such a foolish thing.
3. The mast itself is filled on the bottom (don't know how far up it extends) with some black gunk like a couple of tubes of silicone caulk was pumped into it. Why would anyone do that? Any water in there should be allowed to drain. Is that stock or can I try to remove it? If it is stock, WHY?

Anyway, mast bases should be easy to remove and replace IMO--granted there aren't any internal halyards to rethread but still.... Gravity holds them onto the boat JUST FINE. You only need to secure the base so it doesn't fall off on the road while trailering.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
You only need to secure the base so it doesn't fall off on the road while trailering.

The base has to be secure to keep the mast from coming off while raising or lowering. That is the reason for significant attachment.

Baring a previous owner adding sealant... we typically insert an ethafoam block followed by an aluminum plate and coat it with 3M 5200 or Sikaflex to seal the mast. It is critical on a boat that can capsize that the mast be sealed. Your bigger boat would not need that.

The sleeves are to seal the rivets... also seals the mast.

The base may have excess 5200 that bonded it in. Not sure if that is planned or not on the getaway.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, I will keep the black sikaflex. Still, I sorta get it that a 16 or other boat without a big ball at the top of the mast might want them sealed to keep water out to make righting possible. And I get it that once you do it for one class you keep doing it even if it doesn't make much sense anymore...believe me, most of my professional life was trying to get folks to think that "we've always done it that way" might not actually be good.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:41 am 
Site Admin

A Getaway can still go turtle even with a float, so sealed is good. If you fill a mast while turtled... you are pretty much done and would not be able to right the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, good to know that ball on the top of the mast is just for decoration. :lol:

I think I have enough experience with the boat now that I don't need to worry about capsize so much anymore...if I do capsize, I will be "done anyway" since the thermal shock to my old fat body would make me less than able to right it in the best of circumstances. It is why I put a reef in the mainsail, after all.

Since I'm not a fan of Pop rivets if they aren't needed, I decided to go with #14 3/4" stainless metal screws that screwed (with application of judicious torque) into the same 7/32" holes that the pop rivets would have gone into. With that big glob of sikaflex just above it, I'm not worried about a half cup of water in the bottom if they leak, and I don't live in an area that freezes. Should actually be stronger than the pop rivets.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thanks, good to know that ball on the top of the mast is just for decoration.

Not exactly... just "could" happen with wind, waves, current and or people hanging on the upper hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)