Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I am looking for advice on how to secure my hobie getaway to a trailer. I'm looking for an efficient way to do this that can be done simply. As the Hobie Getaway does not have posts like a Hobie 16, it's unclear to me how to do this or what equipment to buy. Can I go over the hull and attach to hard points on the trailer outboard of the hulls? Thanks for your help. Went out for first sail yesterday and had a great time.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is exactly what I did. Trailer crossbar supports are just a little wider than the boat so I anchored one end of a ratchet strap to the starboard side trailer crossbars and bolted the ratcheting mechanism to the port side trailer crossbars. Then just toss the strap across from one side to the other over the hulls and ratchet down. I used 12' straps. I also have a bow stop to prevent any forward or backward movement while trailering. The boats' front crossbar is locked into the bow stop on the mast stand via the winch.

Keith

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like more work than I want to do, guys.

I take the trailer ratchet line go under the trailer and tie to front crossbar then ratchet tight (not too tight-just want to keep it from bouncing on the trailer over bumps).

I used to use the mainsheet under the trailer to the rear crossbar, but stopped doing that for short trips. Remember the boat is plastic. The mainsheet is wrapped around the rear mast rest, so boat can't slide forward in a sudden stop. If you ratchet things too tight you will dent it-especially if the temperature is hot. Trust gravity.

I do worry about launching the mast on a short stop or leaving it behind on a quick start (I have a rear mast rest with a very good roller), so I do take some time to ensure it doesn't move fore or aft (or sideways for that matter).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I trailer 70 miles each way. There is no way I would not tie the boat "down" on the trailer. Just securing the front crossbar to a ratchet strap is asking for trouble IMO. You need at least 3 points secured so there is no lateral or vertical movement of the boat on the trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I trust gravity. If the boat was on a flatbed I'd worry more, but the hulls would have to bounce about a foot high to come off the side of the trailer (and the front ratchet and rear mainsheet keep it from bouncing more than an inch if that). And, I've seen too many damaged boats where owners cranked down on the ties for trailering and then never loosened them at the destination (or home). Granted, I don't travel at freeway speeds nor do I have to go a long distance (70 miles is a long way!).

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II