Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway upper mast broke
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our Getaway mast has broken on the upper section.
The lower section is still connected to the broken part of the upper section.
The two sections are of course connected with epoxy.
Do you have any ideas or experience of how can we separate the two without damaging the lower aluminium section of the mast.so that we can replace the upper section?

Thanks

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Search for "removing comptip" or something like that. There's a video of someone extracting a comptip to replace it. Ended up evenly heating up the mast aluminum portion with a propane torch or something, which softened the epoxy/glue holding it in, then pulled it out with pliers and chain/cable, IIRC.

Good luck. It's really possible, just if you heat the mast, do so very carefully, evenly and over a wide area; you don't need it to cook - just get very, very warm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

IF it was assembled correctly, it is not epoxy holding it together but bondo. Not that that makes much difference in how to disassemble it. I saw a video of it being done that someone posted here at the hobie forum, they used a chainfall. There are lots of topics about comptip removal, just do a search.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used tie-downs to secure each end of the mast to fixed objects. This allowed me to apply a force pulling the two parts away from each other while applying heat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The latest method of attachment is epoxy from Hobie. I just re-glued mine because it was lose and being pushed further down.

Any idea why yours broke? Dropped, spinnaker, any thoughts? I only ask because mine has what looks to be some surface cracks randomly in vertical direction. I’m wondering about durable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you have any theories on why it broke? I recently re-epoxied mine using Hobie comptip epoxy. I’m curious of durability.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine broke right at the joint. Looking at the broken cross section, it looked like the thickness of the fiberglass was non-uniform and pretty thin on one side. The mast was also around 12 or 13 years old with a lot of use in rough conditions. I also installed a spinnaker one season before the break. I wasn't using the spinnaker when the break happened, but I suspect it weakened the mast. I replaced the mast with an old H16 mast that is all aluminum. This was a much cheaper option than replacing the comptip. It will also be more durable.

Good luck!
David