Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Point out to her that 1) the boom can kill you-even on a monohull with deep seats; so boomless is safer and 2) the Getaway mainsail has a big curve along the foot to make it easier to go under. It'll still be hard on her, though compared to a narrow monohull that has bench seats so she just have to shift one side to the other. Getaway is supposed to be fun, not comfortable (but it is more comfortable than other beach cats that you must trapeze to keep it from flipping). OR, you can pony up a lot more money and get a boat like my current one which has boomless mainsail and a cockpit to shift one side to the other-but it's a trimaran.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tpdavis473 wrote:
Point out to her that 1) the boom can kill you-even on a monohull with deep seats; so boomless is safer

I don't think she wants a boom, I think that she doesn't want to have to crawl under the sail. That was one reason for my purchase of the Getaway, my wife hated having to roll under the boom of our Hobie 17. That boom pretty much swept the deck. The Getaway is much better, by comparison.

No, the Wave doesn't have a boom.

Well, she's still going to have to switch sides on a tack, unless she's very small and you're very large. If she's very short and has incredibly good balance, she can walk from one side to the other, ducking under the sail. But when she falls, she won't be happy! My wife has tried swapping sides by doing that...not always successfully!
Catamarans, as I'm sure you are aware, use body weight as ballast. On light wind days, she can probably ride up front (but the forward trampoline is a wet ride!) or stay on the lee side of the boat. But if it's windy, you'll need her on the windward side with you. Small sailboats in general, require some work on the part of the passengers, and catamarans especially so. Very different from riding in a motorboat or a large keelboat.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, don't want a boom.........I think for her to ride on sitting at the front part of the side rails, back leaning against it would probably be best for her, something to lean on and mostly out of the way of the sail. She will have to do SOME crawling though. Other passengers can ride anywhere and kids maybe on front trampoline or in back depending on the sea and weather. I like the cats over the monohulls for some reason. Is it possible to build a getaway like boat with higher sail so the bottom is say 3 feet off the trampoline?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The foot of the sail on the Getaway is pretty high off the tramp. It's arched too, so that gives even more room. Like I said earlier, my wife (5' 2") can stand upright, and duck under the foot of the sail to walk to the other tack.

I like cats too, because of their much, much greater speed. I belong to a sailing club on the same lake that I usually sail my Getaway on. On the monohulls I sail there, 18' to 34', one trip across the lake and back takes at least a couple of hours. On my cat, I criss cross the lake several times in an afternoon.

Cats are a colder, wetter ride. I sail mostly in Wisconsin, so the season is pretty short. I can go out on a bigger monohull and stay warm a month earlier and later than on my cat. Sitting up on the wings helps keep you dry. I've only owned cats with wings (H17 and Getaway). I've sailed a few without wings, and that just reinforces their advantages.

I was in the Philippines in 1978, while in the Navy. Never got to your area though. Subic Bay and Manila is about all I saw.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Coming from the wave the Getaway will be a big step up. Instead of crawling around and sitting on the deck you will have the luxury of sitting on benches and walking between them. A stoop will get you under the main sail.

The front tramp is often wet, and so is the leeward wing.

If you are confident about your balance you can cross just in front of the mast. I often take this route as it prevents me from spilling the open beer I have stowed in the cleavage of my lifejacket. If I stoop under the boom it spills when my chest dips. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I need to go rent a getaway in San Diego, that is where I rented a wave and small single hull

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does the mast pole ever break on the hobie's or are they 100% reliable? Also the small sail in front of the main sail do most people put that on a default setting and forget it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look through the posts here and you will see that a lot of time is spent talking about the mast. They typically do not break, but there is a composite section that is inserted into the metal section that often has issues. If you are purchasing new, however, you should not have issues for 4 or 5 years. Truthfully, not everyone has an issue, ever.

Unfortunately, you cannot "set it and forget it" with the forestaysail (jib--the small sail in front of the mainsail). You have to switch it from side to side because it won't do it by itself. In fact, you will discover that you often have to delay switching it from one side to the other to allow the boat to tack successfully.

All this will become second nature once you get some experience. If available, it might be useful for you to take a sailing lesson-even experience on a monohull or dingy will be valuable.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, good idea to take a lesson, I know a place in San Diego that gives them, probably should at some point go there and do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

brcacti wrote:
Yes, good idea to take a lesson

I second that. You are taking your family out on pretty big water, on a boat that can be hard to control if you don't know what you are doing. Lessons (note the plural!) are cheap insurance.
Seriously, the boat is the second thing to worry about. People are happy with all kinds of boats. The key is to have the ability to sail it, control it, and enjoy it, whatever kind of vessel it is. I've seen too many people who just hop in a canoe or sailboat, thinking, how hard can this be? And getting in serious trouble. I've had to rescue some of them.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yeah at some point before I buy and all that I need to retake sailing lessons, if used to sail a SMALL man made lake but now am talking about Davao gulf, visiting islands in the ocean, much different. Anyone doing that needs professional instruction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I mounted a 22-pound thrust Watersnake trolling motor on my Getaway because my neighborhood launch is not sail friendly. The motor only cost a little over $100, so I wasn't going to spend $400 for that aluminum mount! Plus, I wasn't thrilled about drilling holes in my spars and installing monster SST rivets to mount the aluminum beast.

I saw a guy with a wood mount on Youtube, so I went that route. My main support is an 8 foot long 1x3. I fabricated a Z-bracket (.09" SST) that mounts under the main sheet block mount (with longer bolts). The 1x3 is bolted to the Z-bracket (at the back) and is laced to the underside of the tramp using the tramp eyelets. I made a box shape (out of 1x3 material) at the back for the motor mount. This lifts the motor up and makes the 1x3 stiffer (so it doesn't twist when the motor is stowed.).

When stowed, the motor does not interfere with tiller travel. When using the motor, I can't throw the tiller ALL the way over (but you shouldn't have to when you're under power!)

I built a waterproof battery box that I strap on the forward tramp (right in front of the mast.) The power cable is laced under the tramp to keep it out of the way. The box holds an 18 amp-hour battery, a 50A breaker, and an illuminated switch. I calculated that I can get about 45 minutes of run time (at low speed), but I've never run the battery down yet. I just need it to get me away from the launch area, then I fold it up and sail. I probably only run it 20-30 minutes per outing. I put together a word doc with pics, but apparently I can't add attachments...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

VERY INTERESTING..................................the most important question I have is:
for sailing a bay the Davao bay between Samal island areas on the ocean would it be best to have a gas trolling motor over electric?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Cheata motor mounts work GREAT! I had one but am now selling mine in the classified section because I now keep the boat permanently at a cabin. Having a motor is awesome if you launch your boat or if the wind dies or your trying to fight the wind.