Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings All,

I'm narrowing my interest on the Getaway as it grows more and more appealing in my mind. It would seem to fit most of my wants and needs, but I still have a few questions that I'm hoping you can answer for me here.

How easy (or difficult) is it to step the mast on the Getaway? My experience is between a Sunfish (like putting in a little banner flag in your garden) and my big boat, which I only stepped once a season because she resided at anchor throughout the summer. I don't plan to keep the Getaway in the water permanently... will it be realistic to step the mast each weekend?

I've reviewed the threads on this forum concerning adding an auxiliary motor mount and that's definitely a project I'll want to undertake in the future. But on the lake I frequent, whether the motor is gas or electric, the boat will need to be registered to stay out of trouble with the sheriff. Will the Getaway have a capacity plate with a HP allowance, or do you just sort of fudge it when you register the boat?

I've been snooping around the Hobie website but I can't seem to find a list of features and options. The Getaway page has an image gallery and some basic specs listed, but no additional information. They only display one color scheme available... curious to know about accessories, mated trailers, etc. Best to contact them for additional literature?

Lastly, what sort of storage options does the Getaway have for equipment like anchor / rode, paddle, boat hook, emergency kit, throwables, etc.? 
Thanks in advance for your patience with this newbie! ~ Douglas S. (Pennsylvania) 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’ve had my Getaway since 2012, and have some experience with your questions.

I use a gin pole, the Mast Stepper III to raise my mast. 33 years ago, I had a Hobie 17, and could just barely muscle the mast up by myself, so I built a gin pole system for it, you’ll see a discussion about gin poles in this forum.
I can almost but not quite raise the Getaway mast by myself, but I’m almost 70. So the answer is, how strong are you?
And yes, I keep the boat on a trailer and drive to lakes to sail, so I raise and lower the mast every time. Using the Mast Stepper, I think it takes 10 minutes or so. Total setup by myself is 50-60 minutes. If my wife is with me, we can set it up or tear it down in 35-40 minutes.

Look for KeithB’s motor mount design, it’s a thread in this forum. I’ve never been questioned about the boat’s motor capacity. It’s registered in Illinois. 2-3 hp motors, gas or electric, seem to be the size of choice.

Only 1 color scheme. I think the dealer provides the trailer, and they use different suppliers I think. Boat options are limited, wings, spinnaker and trap wires are it, I think.

There’s a storage compartment in each hull, about 12 pack size I would estimate. Paddles get shoved in the tramp lacing or under each wing. I carry a SUP paddle under each wing in case we have to paddle for some miles-I like to sail on the Great Lakes and want a back up in case of motor failure. I tie my anchor and rope in a bag on top of a throwable cushion, tied to the lacing of the tramp.
I have a box on the trailer for the sail, rudders, Bob and assorted stuff. I have a couple of bins for PFDs, mainsheet and blocks that go in the trunk.
The last couple of years I started camp cruising, and we put camping gear in dry bags, tied down to the boat’s hiking straps.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:
I’ve had my Getaway since 2012, and have some experience with your questions.

I use a gin pole, the Mast Stepper III to raise my mast. 33 years ago, I had a Hobie 17, and could just barely muscle the mast up by myself, so I built a gin pole system for it, you’ll see a discussion about gin poles in this forum.
I can almost but not quite raise the Getaway mast by myself, but I’m almost 70. So the answer is, how strong are you?
And yes, I keep the boat on a trailer and drive to lakes to sail, so I raise and lower the mast every time. Using the Mast Stepper, I think it takes 10 minutes or so. Total setup by myself is 50-60 minutes. If my wife is with me, we can set it up or tear it down in 35-40 minutes.

Look for KeithB’s motor mount design, it’s a thread in this forum. I’ve never been questioned about the boat’s motor capacity. It’s registered in Illinois. 2-3 hp motors, gas or electric, seem to be the size of choice.

Only 1 color scheme. I think the dealer provides the trailer, and they use different suppliers I think. Boat options are limited, wings, spinnaker and trap wires are it, I think.

There’s a storage compartment in each hull, about 12 pack size I would estimate. Paddles get shoved in the tramp lacing or under each wing. I carry a SUP paddle under each wing in case we have to paddle for some miles-I like to sail on the Great Lakes and want a back up in case of motor failure. I tie my anchor and rope in a bag on top of a throwable cushion, tied to the lacing of the tramp.
I have a box on the trailer for the sail, rudders, Bob and assorted stuff. I have a couple of bins for PFDs, mainsheet and blocks that go in the trunk.
The last couple of years I started camp cruising, and we put camping gear in dry bags, tied down to the boat’s hiking straps.

Once again your experience proves to be reassuring to me dorienc, thanks for taking a moment to answer my latest query. I think the Getaway is going to be a good fit for me, but I'm sure it will take time to get acquainted with its idiosyncrasies.

I'll look for the discussion on gin poles. Glad to hear that stepping the mast won't be too much of a challenge for a couple of people. I'm going to start sniffing out dealers and getting some quotes. Certainly haven't ruled out finding a used one either, just going to see what I can find out there. I'll keep you posted. ~ Doug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can also tie a large (or long) bag in front of the mid crossbar, so it sits at the back of the front tramp and get some storage that way. Could be a drybag for clothes, etc.
These are pretty versatile boats, I often sail in smaller lakes where the wind is up and down and shifty. Light boats react to every change, making you jump up on the rail, or down, up and down. The getaway is pretty stable and doesn't heel much with a wind gust. Same on salt water, you can sail in less wind or (some) more wind without having to be on edge all the time re capsizing. And, as the wind picks up a little, the boats really start to move.

Bob - What type of anchor are you finding adequate? I don't have an anchor on the boat but am thinking of adding one. Thanks, jeff in NH.