Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone thought of an efficient (low weight) method to reinforce the Wave bow spreader bar so it can be used to pull the cat up on the beach, etc.? The bar appears to be too flimsy to use it as a "pull" bar and yet it does get in the way of using the front crossbar as a pull point. Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Not that I have seen. I drag them from the rear beam. Seems easier as the bows don't dig in as much as the keels do.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a custom jib made for my Wave (increased sail area) so I reinforced the spreader bar by purchasing an aluminum pipe that fits exactly over the Hobie spreader bar (ID of the added piece just a hair larger than the OD of the Hobie spreader bar). Painted the bar black so you really cannot tell it is there. If you do this, be certain to rivet the spreader bar eye strap (mounted in the center) to the newly placed outer bar. Basically doubles the strength of the spreader bar even though the overall strength is limited to the fittings that hold the Hobie bar on each hull. Hopefully this makes sense! I pull my Wave by that bar all the time without issue or flex in the bar. BTW if you look up "How to make your Hobie Wave faster" on youtube there is a poster "Victor Warrior" who gives a lot of information concerning modifications to the Wave.