Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you gentlemen for taking time to give a detailed answers. This is really helping a lot.
I have pulled the inspection ports and looking for a larger replacement. I was wondering what to seat them in as the it is not flat in that area. I'll find some 5200.

I'll update the bridal from 7 hole to 10 hole. Thanks, I did not know to pull the pin in the mast after putting it up. I would have left it in place.

For the righting lines, I thought they should be loose and tied to the mast so one can stand on the pontoon lean back and hang on the rope from the mast to right the boat. The rope and bungee around the tramp is tied to the cross beams. I'll have to do some youtube research on how to properly right a flipped Hobie. Thanks.

Thanks for the downhaul tying info. I'll wrap the line a couple times.

You have good eyes if you can tell the main sheet line from a picture. I have no idea the type of rope it is. Where can you get Dacron line? I guess I'll have to order it when I order all the other parts. I'm getting a long list of parts together.

I was hoping I got the mainsheet pulleys correct. So it does attach where I had it. I'll source a shorter pin.

I will take the sail to a canvas shop. There are no sail shops around here.

I'll search the web for pictures of what hiking straps look like.

I'll see how expensive Hobie 20 tiller connectors.

Any good threads or pictures of this process? I don't really know what you are talking about:
Buy two rudder cams and a set of sister screws. Drill only the lip of the current pins and drive them out. Then replace the cams and use the sister screws in place of the press fitted pin on each cam.

I'll pull the extra hardware on the side. I didn't see a use for them. I don't know what they were for, but look like a good place to cut yourself.

Fix/Repair/Purchase list:
- Ruder Cams: 10480000. Two. Plastic=$10 each
- Clean/Lube rudder assembly
- (3) stay adjusters 20830010 seven and ten hole , (5) Clevis pins 8020381, (5) Ring Dings 20860000
- Main Sail sewn by canvas shop. When it's gone, I'll order a new one some day.
- Tiller handle joints, H20 possibly
- Replace inspection ports on pontoons and use 5200 to seal them.
- Pull extra hardware off pontoons and seal with 5200.
- research: Buy two rudder cams and a set of sister screws. Drill only the lip of the current pins and drive them out. Then replace the cams and use the sister screws in place of the press fitted pin on each cam.
- Replace hiking straps
- Mainsheet pulley pin
- Mainhaul dacron line
- Entire cable kit for Wave
- Investigate righting line use
- Service wheel bearings

HEY all, really, thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just dropped an order for all the parts. I'll soon have it ready for sailing.
Only things not ordered were the main sail and tramp. We'll make sure I enjoy it and get every ounce of use out of those two expensive items before replacement.
Installing the ports seems like the only average work thing as everything else is just a replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Almost all my parts came in today. I installed the sister pins quite easily. The cams were destroyed, but the plunger, spring, tension screw were all in good shape.
I did notice I'm missing both upper and lower rudder pin bushings. Guess I need to order and wait.

So...what is the purpose of the cam and cam plate? I"m still waiting for one cam plate that is missing to arrive in the mail..

How do you adjust the camp plate and plunger tension and how does it work? I assume it locks the rudders down and when you hit something, the cam rotates and allows the rudders to kick up. I don't get how the cam and cam plates work together and how do you adjust the cam plates as well as the plunger.

Thanks all. New contoured ports work well. I don't know why the previous owner put in that wood. The pontoon hole is 6" and the screw holes were exactly right to put in my new 6" ports. I guess he only had 4" ports and made a cheap cheesy plywood adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The adjustable cam plate moves forward or aft to set rudder lock down, and in particular tune the rudder 'toe under' for optimum 'helm'. If you have 'lee helm' (tiller wants to push toward you), you are going to hate the boat's performance. 'Weather helm' (tiller pulls away from you) is tolerable if slight. A neutral helm on the Wave is best. Some may disagree, but I like perfect neutral helm as I can sit and have my beverage under sail and drop the tiller for a while if I like. Using a straight edge against the transom, the locked down rudder should be about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch forward of the line formed by the straightedge about 1/2 the way below the bottom of the hull. Sail it a few times in medium breeze to make sure it has the right feel on the helm. Also, I like my rudders 'toe in' almost perfectly parallel. Maybe 1/8 pidgeon toed at the most.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Serpa4:

Just looking for an update on your rig. I just picked my 95 up yesterday and I have to go through the whole thing as you do and wanted to see if you have any updates?

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did the following:
All new stays, fore, side, and bridal.
New inspection ports. I used contoured ones.
Rudder cams and pins
the plastic bushings the rudders move on for the castings
New main sheet rope, but not necessary
New trailer bearings
Ordered several new/spare rigging pins and d rings to secure them
Added two cat bags (handy)
New drain plugs for hulls with seals
New cam tensioner and springs (springs weren't needed), just plungers
Mast bearings (flat nylon disk)
Cam plate and SS bolt
Lots of cleaner for the tramp
Sail will need to be replace in a couple years probably.
All in all, I'm in it at about $1400. Maybe $2,000 with a new sail some day. I feel pretty happy about it now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good work! Another great boat saved from obscurity!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this is post is almost a year old but wanted to chime in. I have had so much fun fixing and flipping waves just bought my 4th this past weekend. Its a '97 classic. Stole it for $400 including a nice set of beach wheels. It needs a new tramp and mainsail but just ordered a mainsail NEW 5oz. white dacron for $300 and an updated version of the classic tramp which is a 2 piece $250. It has a sliding 4" piece on the aft section with grommets for lacing eliminating the need for the velcro straps which in turn enables you to do the traveler modification (which I highly recommend) definitely increases control in higher winds without a doubt!! It also has the newer upgraded tiller quick connect system $80 value. If yours have the tube connector replace immediately, I blew mine up on a previous boat 1/2 mile offshore on a previous wave making it nearly impossible to get the boat back to shore in 25kts. Im going to be all in for $950 with an almost new boat. All stays were replaced by previous owner with 7 and 10 hole adjusters. If you have the older stays with the "clip" on the end. Holy god replace them as well one of mine came undone in crazy weather on my first wave and resulted in a de-masting. Ive owned 14's, 16's, a 17 and a few waves. Basically 95% of my sailing is in hard core blasting around 25kt days solo All the other hobbies in the category need 2 people to control. The wave by far is the most fun little machine I've ever sailed. Its TOTALLY UNDERRATED!!! Probably going to mod this one again and keep it...I always regret selling one. Though Ive made over $1000 on each sale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

toddpatane wrote:
just ordered a mainsail NEW 5oz. white dacron for $300.

Wait, what?! Where can I find this new $300 mainsail?!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I’m new here reading through archives. Who makes these sails?