Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alas, alas, I am undone
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Twice been sailing so far this year as the cold is diminishing.
Twice I have had failures with stuff coming undone.
I thought I checked most stuff at the start of the season but....

1. The shackle that holds the lower mainsheet block to the crossbar came undone just as I was doing some tricky sailing going under a bridge.
I lunged for the shackle and pin, got them both, reattached everything only hand tight and sailed home.

2. The downhaul cleat came undone and was still attached to the downhaul rope. I sailed home again with a wrinkled sail and subsequently reattached it.

We all have to live with stuff breaking that's a different problem.
I find it very tiresome that I cannot attach stuff securely.
That should be an easily preventable problem.
I don't want to have to check every component prior to each time I go sailing.

I welcome suggestions for each and every unique component, especially the downhaul cleat which seems destined to repeatedly come undone considering the slot it is in is directly in line with the force being applied to it.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For any threaded shackles or fittings that don’t need to be regularly undone, use blue Loctite on the threads to prevent them from coming loose. Also, don’t be afraid to make the fittings tight. I always use a pair of pliers to tighten any shackle pins. Just putting them in hand tight is not enough to stop them from working loose. Same goes for the downhaul cleat - use thread locker and make sure the screws are nice and tight.

Its also a good idea to keep a few spare shackles, pins, a length of line, and a few basic tools on the boat in case something fails and you need a spare part or to make a repair while on the water.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

downhaul on the wave the line is attached to the sail with a knot and then pulled tight and cleated correct? I have never had that come loose while sailing. I have had my halyard come loose when I start releasing the downhaul when I was lowering the sail. This must have happened to you to get a wrinkled sail. I would check such things as the type of knot that is tied to the sail and then the figure eight on the cleat. Not sure I think some boats have a different system or the boats got added a part that uses a presser cleat that holds the line.

Don't think the wave original equipment has a downhaul cleat that could use blue thread lock.
clark