Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have previously posted about the time when I was pitchpoled without wearing a lifejacket.
Nowadays, I always wear one.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67063

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

I have sailed my Hobie Wave for 4 years now, typically about 50 times per year. Apart from that one pitchpole when the boat drifted away from me faster than I could swim, I have always managed to keep the boat upright, even in somewhat challenging winds. I have always been aware that I really should practice capsize recovery but never got around to it (Duh!).

I recently tried to sail under a bridge with the wind coming from an awkward direction. I thought I could make it. I was wrong and was going to collide with a concrete part of the bridge. I tried to tack in very troubled wind (caused by the bridge pilings) in a very tight space. No sooner did I start to tack than the wind direction completely reversed and the boat capsized. I was very lucky that the mast didn't hit anything. I swam while guiding the boat away from all obstructions until it was completely clear of the bridge. Then, having never practiced before (repeated admission of stupidity), I tried to right the boat. I am 225lb so righting went OK. Then the hard part started. Trying to get back onboard. I tried many things over the next 20 exhausting minutes. Eventually I tied a spare rope loosely between the tip of one bow and the center of the forward crossbar and used it as a single step rope ladder. Whew! I made it!
The extra stupid part was I had already bought an actual rope ladder and never opened the package.
To redress some of my errors, when I got home, I practiced climbing on board in deep water with the rope ladder. I tried fixing it to the forward crossbar but that was no good as the moment I put my foot on a rung, my body went horizontal under the boat. My successful method was to tie the rope ladder to the center lacing in the middle of the trampoline and hang it over the side. The hull limited how much I went horizontal. I then hauled myself up using arm strength on the rungs between the inside edge of the hull and the trampoline lacing. I did this several times, each time successful on the first try. I now keep the rope ladder permanently tied to the trampoline lacing with the remainder bunched up in a pocket on the trampoline so it stays out of the way but can be easily deployed.

I don't recount these events to boast how stupid I am. I am ashamed.
I do post them so others can possibly prevent similar situations from happening to them:
1. Always wear a lifejacket.
2. Practice recovering from a capsize before you ever find yourself in that situation.

I hope I don't have to make another post about how dumb I can be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What kind of rope ladder do you have? I thought about getting one when I first bought my Wave but figured I could probably climb back in if I had to. I confess I have never capsized or practiced getting back in the boat. I do wear a life jacket equipped with strobe light, signal mirror, whistle and laser flare. This is a carryover from my windsurfing days when I was more concerned about being spotted if things went bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the rope ladder on Amazon in 2021.
I just looked and the ladder is no longer available.
Here is something very similar:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Extensi ... B0B2QN8CZM
I used the 2 snap shackles to attach it to the trampoline lacing and tucked the remainder of the ladder into a pocket on the trampoline. You need a 5 step ladder as a fair amount of length is consumed from the lacing in the middle of the trampoline, over the hull and finally down into the water.
I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A friend of mine tied a loop in the righting line which serves as a step. I keep the line in the pouch on the tramp. It worked for me when I got back on the boat in deep water.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A friend of mine tied a loop in the righting line so when draped over the front crossbar, I have a step to boost myself
on to the tramp. I know it works because I have had to use it.