Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp Track Hobie Wave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just purchased an older Hobie Wave and the trampoline needs replacing. Does anyone know if it can be converted to accept the Hobie Wave Club trampoline by installing tramp tracks (39341011) ? Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

f0rcef1ve wrote:
Just purchased an older Hobie Wave and the trampoline needs replacing. Does anyone know if it can be converted to accept the Hobie Wave Club trampoline by installing tramp tracks (39341011) ? Thank you
You may able to add them, if you have a drill, and an exra pair of hands, and long arms.

The Waves w/ tracks have simple backing plates inside the hulls, to back up the #10x2" (I think) ss sheet metal screws.

I think the middle tramp hooks use the cast-in-place threaded inserts, so you can use these same screws and inserts to locate the middle of the track. Mine is attached in the middle w/ these two machine screws, the rest are all drilled and driven into the backing plate.

Here is how I would do it:

You would need to remove the seat pads and open up the access ports under each seat. This way you can slide in and hold the backing plates (1/8"x1 1/2" aluminum flat stock from a hardware store), not sure what length they would need to be cut, but you will need 2 for each hull.

Once you position the track using the machine screws, you could drill a hole at say the 1/3 point using the track as a guide, if you peer up into the hull thru the drain plug, you will be able to see the bit prodruding, and guide the plate into postion, to drill your first hole. Use a screw thru the track to hold it so you can repeat the process. Just be carful not to drill into or drive a screw into your hand while holding that backing plate in place!! :wink:

You may need to snug it up tight to draw the plate in tight so you can go to the next hole.

Once all screws are in place, back them all out about 1/2", and run a bead of clear silicone behind the track, and snug them all up. Look into the drain plug to be sure you have the plates draw up tight.

Keep in mind I have never done this myself, but definitely seems doable. Use caution and look into the access ports yourself to determine if you can even get your hands in that far. Before you drill holes!

Maybe Matt Miller can comment here too.

Good luck.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject: Hobie Wave Tramp Tracks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim, thank you for your detailed reply. It was to much to hope for that the old brackets came off and the new tramp track bolted on. Sounds like it's better to just replace it with the original equipment. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply. Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:33 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
if the boat has the aluminum backing plate it would be an easy switch. you will have to wait for Mmiller to chime in on if he thinks that plate it in there.

if it is in there you would need to drill and tap the additional holes.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone ever added the tramp tracks to an older classic Wave succesfully?
I'm about to get a 1998 SE, and would love to convert it if it's possible.

Thanks, Jim