Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Outback
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a new Outback a week ago, been out once on the local lake to get used to it then took it out on the ocean yesterday for a fish. I have to say it is better than I imagined, after 7 years of yak fishing this appears to be one of the best designed fishing yaks out. I tried both the Revo and the Outback and decided that the Outback suited my needs. Just love the space and the tackle trays. I brought 5 fish home and released 2 small sharks. Only mod so far is the anchor trolley, next is a fish finder. I notice most people mount their's in the tackle tray, I was thinking of the sail mount as it means less holes in the yak. Anyone got strong feelings either way?

Anyhow after 12 months of going Outback - Revo - Outback - Revo I'm pretty sure I got the best yak for my style of fishing.

Post subject: Re: New Outback
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats! If I had to make one choice for a fishing yak, it would be the Outback. We had one last year and the only complaint I had - and a mild one at that - was the weight of it. Enjoy!

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree, that's the one. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i just bought the new outback as well. I am outfitting with the Humminbird 385 ci combo kayak kit - GPS / Sonar unit. I am mounting the unit in the sail mount with a ram wedge mount, like you said, no holes and it is completely out of the way. I did not want something mounted on the sides of the boat to interfere with fishing. There is a nice youtube video from a guy in an Australian kayak shop (Outback Fishing Kayak Setup SLH - type this in youtube for video) gives good info for outfitting the Outback including the exact Ram mounts you will need, super easy set up and can't wait to get mine rigged and ready.

good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my outback in Apr...I have my FF in the sail mount with a Ram wedge mount & 1 in ball, I'll put some picks up later...Good luck Sully60

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi I ended up mounting the fish finder on the flat spot forward of the rudder control on the right hand side. The main reason I did this was my initial plan was to set it up like the SLH you tube outback with the cables running through the hatch ad therefore have a system where you can remove the unit and cables and store them inside. After being out in about 4 feet of wind driven swell I noticed that the waves coming over the bow were running around the hatch mold. When I got home I put the sounder cables through the hatch and ran the hose on the bow. Quite a of water leaked inot the hull, enough to make me reconsider the install. I put it on the gunnel so that I could reach the controls without having to lean forward. The reason I was going for the sail post mount was toavoid having to drill holes for cabling and ram post mount. I am almost phobic about drilling holes inyaks :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own a Sport also, however, trading up to an Outback for more space and gonna get the Evolve. I have the Humminbird 385ci Kayak Combo and love it. I mounted mine in a cup holder (only need one)with a Ram universal mount. Drilled out a hole in the base of the Ram for the wiring and put the transducer on upper edge of the tri-hull with battery next to it. I will mount the same way on new Outback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bough my 2010 Outback used. It was setup with the FF on a ram mount in the sail tube and cords ran through the front hatch. It works ok but I'm pretty sure I'll move mine when I decide where I want it.