Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for Lowrance owners to toss out their preferred settings on their units and ask questions. I have only had my 17t & Lowrance 5 Chirp for several weeks now and I am trying to figure out what settings work best in what environment.

For example, I have been playing around with the Noise Filtering & Surface Clarity options. I notice that when both of these (individually or together) increase in sensitivity, the less fish I see, or the less defined the fish markings are. However, I run into a problem with the first 5 or 7 feet of water (even with depths of 50+ feet) where it is just all noise.

Also, i am trying to figure out what the best color is on Sonar. Right now I am on the white background, which I think was the factory setting.

What are your preferred adjustments? Do you change the adjustments depending on the depth or clarity of the water?

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd really love to hear some opinions on this as well. My elite 5 hdi does the same thing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another Elite 5 HDI owner here!! Looking forward to some responses on this thread!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same issues with the elite 5 with chirp. I hope it is something stupid I am doing. Any help out there please.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

my 7 chirp has great bottom contours and shows weeds etc very well, but the fish arches are just not there like my Hbird 798 shows. Cant figure it out to see the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive now been told by a rep that the CHIRP eliminates the shadow/arch and shows fish as a dot or series of dots. I did see the large bait balls as a series of tiny dots this weekend, 6" sardines up to 10" mackeral. Will have to pay attention to this next time out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Am I correct in saying if fishing in water less than 100' I should be in Freshwater mode? Even if I am in the salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im in same boat ;) Ive got a Elite 4 Chirp DSI with thru hull mounted transducer in my Hobie Oasis Tandem.

so far its a great depth finder but I cant figure out how to find fish on it, the screen is a jumbled mess so far. And I do notice the settings dramatically change this. Hopefully some experienced users can help us fish in shallow water, Im mostly in 5-15' freshwater