Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2014 Oasis mirage tandem and its pretty much as delivered. Great yak! I was looking for some upgrade advise on what people commonly do to these things.

Im getting ready to hit Cape San Blas in April (Gulf + Bay fishing), then Fernandina Beach in June (backwater, maybe Atlantic if not too choppy). So I want to rig it for fishing backwater and the Gulf. I will probably have my 10yr old fishing with me part of the time, then my 7yr old, then probably an adult buddy of mine.

Ive already ordered up 2 sets of the ST Turbo fins, as well as 3 of the 5" deep 8" twist/stow latch bins to increase storage. Still looking for a solution for the front hull storage - i did find a bucket at wally world that sorta fits but is so small its not really worth it.

I definitely want some rod holders, I was thinking of using a small milk crate with PVC tubes zip tied to the sides and put it directly behind the rear seat. Im trying to keep this simple and cheap, and lightweight. Not sure what to do for the front seat rod holders yet.

Also, is it possible to retrofit the newer seats into this ?

I love this yak and cant wait to get it out again this spring/summer. Thanks for any and all suggestions, Im really new to this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Heres a pic from last year at fernandina beach. We broke about 5 lines from this spot in 10 minutes. We met a guy fishing there when we pulled up who said he had pulled up a 5' lemon shark few minutes before we made it across the channel. Some big stuff in there! We did finally pull up a sheepshead, and a channel cat, both about 20" or so.

(Egans creek, Fernandina beach, across the channel)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sail works great with that yak. I also use a safety flag in big water.
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sweet boat. As for rod holders, Yak Attack gear track narrow (GT 90), Scotty flush mounts, or Railblaza mounts on the gunwales, but make sure nothing interferes or cuts the rudder lines.

Some people use roll top drybags to stow tackle and gear tethered to the boat instead of crates due to lack of sternwells, etc..

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bringing back an old thread here ...

Had another question about this yak regarding depth finder.

I would love a chartplotter/gps depth finder but cannot decide a good way to mount it in the back. With 2 ppl fishing, the person in back (me) has a limited area to cast and reel already. Putting in a depth finder screen on either side would essentially make it impossible to fish from 1 whole side of the yak. Thats not going to work for me. Has anyone figured out a way to mount a depth finder out of the way ? I was thinking in the sail mast spot, perhaps with some extension/45 elbow to get it up/away from the front passenger seat back. What would be ideal would be a hand held unit that could tuck away in the mesh pocket on either side, with a hard mounted transducer in the hull. Ive seen where its easy to mount a battery in the rear most 8" hatch which isnt being used so that could work. Just trying to get it out of the way...

As for rod holders, I got the Engell cooler w/rod holders, its been great and provides much needed cooler for sodas and bait. The holders are short so I prop it up on a 10" plastic box and just use the hobie bunji tie down in back to hold in place. Works great and doesnt clutter up the yak with rod holders all over the place.

Last question about this awesome yak - is there any upgrade for the seats to get the 2015 seats in there ? Only thing that could use improving is not sitting in a puddle of water. Seems ike it wouldbt be too hard to put a block under the seat that mates with the mount holes in the yak and with the seat. Would make it easier to fish as well, but higher roll center too.

Id love to see more pics of these things rigged, mines a work in progress but we have lots of hours on it already, love the turbo fins we can really cover lots of water. Also thinking about a trolling motor mod.