Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noisy Vantage Seat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm absolutely loving my new Revo 16 , but although really comfy, the new seat is really squeaky. Anyone have a fix for this ??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Noisy Vantage Seat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Little dry silicone between the seat material and the frame.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Little dry silicone between the seat material and the frame.

Thank you for your help w the seat Matt.

Last edited by Crabby Caster on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

What is the serial number?... that tells you the model year.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last edited by Crabby Caster on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like your boat was manufactured before the running change took effect. These thru-hull fittings are pretty darn water tight, and shouldn't allow much if any water into the hull. Silicone seal on the fittings would be your best bet to 100% waterproof it. Also when your livewell is running, make sure that the drain tube is pushed down far enough to allow the water to drain directly out the scupper hole. If your drain tube is not properly aligned with the scupper, your cargo area will certainly fill with water....this should not be the case unless you're taking water over the side and into the cargo area.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys are great. Thanks for the advice. I'll do what you suggested before I go out again

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck keeping that above deck fitting above water when in operation. Even with no weight in the back.When you peddle bow rises back drops water surges up scuppers and covers that fitting 100% of time, before you even add in any wave effect, or add any load in the back.

If it ever springs a leak you cannot check it as you cant reach it, and you cant stop it. Hobie will not guarantee these fittings for submerged applications. Bear that in mind when your are 2 miles offshore.

If you cant drill a hole in the underside of the boat and install one of these fittings you can't put one in the bottom of the tankwell as it is a also underwater. gooping it up is bandaiding an inappropriate fitting and defeats its use as a demountable fitting.

Dont know why hobie keep insisting the bottom of a tankwell on a revo 16/adventure is a dry area. Never has been, even on my 2006 adventure. Next time you are out put your hand in the well and see for yourself. Its only dry on flat water when you are not moving, with no load onboard.

The only major change between 2015 and 2016 models is fixing that wiring point, the other changes are the seat buckle which you have (wouldn't trust that in a surf roll, add a more substantial leash those seats are expensive to loose), and a couple of bigger padeye combinations. ie you have a 2015 hull design with a couple of trivial 2016 accessories added, and retailed as 2016 release simply due to production date. Like most things the following years products are introduced during previous year so thats in itself is not unusual.

Look at hobies specs for 2016 model , yours does not comply and so is not as advertised if that is what you were specifically sold it as. This is not a minor change.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crabby Caster wrote:
My rear tankwell is filed with water when I'm on the yak (I'm 230lbs + gear) constantly. That wiring port is always submerged.

apparently owners are imagining this
HStrech wrote:
..this should not be the case unless you're taking water over the side and into the cargo area.

Crabby Caster wrote:
If that rubber gasket fails one day, I could be done. Is there a water tight fix for this ??

Plastic weld the hole shut and install new fitting on bulkhead or changeover hull. This has to maintain integrity for lifetime of hull. Someone down the track is going to break open any seal and install a new transducer and they may not be aware of, or forgotten, this issue.

Before every trip pressure test with air and soapy water, and if it bubbles take it back to dealer, repeatedly if necc, near enough is not safe enough, until they come up with a permanent fix. "shouldn't leak much" would not be acceptable for the sump plug, so shouldn't for this. As you say you spent enough $$. Doesn't take much inhull water to destabalize a revo 16 in rough conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow. Don't even know what else to say. Was completely thrilled with this yak. Now scared to even leave the beach with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Spoke with my dealer, and he informed me this is the first he's heard of this issue, and is contacting Hobie for me. Said he did not intend to sell me a defective boat, and I believe him. He's a good man. Gonna give Hobie the benefit of doubt, and trust they will help me. I put a hole in the scupper of my 2010 PA14 a couple years ago with my stake out pole, ruining my yak. They were awesome to deal with and took care of me when they didn't have to. I will always be grateful for that, and at this point have no reason to believe that they won't help me again. Actually feel pretty guilty for blowing up on my dealer. I'm sure I'll have some answers next week sometime. Until then I'll fish my PA. Nothing is taking down that freakin battleship :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie is awesome !! What a company !! My dealer went to bat for me, and Hobie is taking care of everything. I hope to earn lots of cash in the future to expand my fleet :-) And as for my dealer...Capt Jerry Collins of Capt Kayak in Sayville...it doesn't get any better. This man could have and should have told me to go F myself after how I acted. Instead he calmed me down and fixed everything asap. Thanks Jerry. Thanks Hobie. Customer for life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Crabbie...I see you are in Sayville....I'm in Long Beach...we should get together for a trip....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds great. I'm always looking to wet a line.