Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I decided to replace my Lowrance TotalScan transducer mount with the new BerleyPro Lowrance TotalScan transducer mount. At the time I made my mount, the only option we had to mount the larger sidescan transducers was on a transducer arm, hanging over the side. I wanted to have the TotalScan transducer mounted in the Lowrance Ready area, so I built my own mount.

BerleyPro now makes a few mounts for the larger transducers. Presently they make mounts for; Lowrance TotalScan, Raymarine and Garmin Side Vu transducers with Humminbird in the works.

Installation is pretty straight forward. I already had the transducer mounted in the Lowrance Ready location so I had to uninstall my mount first. If you don't have a transducer mounted, unscrew the bolts that hold the Lowrance mount in place. Place the screws in a little baggy and tape it to the Lowrance Ready mount and store it away. BerleyPro provides new longer screws with their mount.

It's always interesting to see what falls down the scupper hole and collects in the Lowrance Ready area. It's good practice to drop the mount down every so often and clean it out. Depending on what collects in this area, it can cause issues with the transducer performance.

The BerleyPro mount comes in two pieces; a base plate and a cover.

The base plate is design to accept a number of different transducers. Route the transducer cable through the upper large hole (near the 'point'), then secure the transducer to the base plate with four screws, which should have came with your transducer.

Once the transducer is secured to the base plate, route the cable up through the scupper hole. It helps to have a second set of hands here to pull the cable up and hold it in place. Once in place and lined up with the bolt holes, place the cover over top and secure with the three bolts and washers provided.

I won't go into how to route the cable, there are plenty of videos out there to show how...if you need help.

The BerleyPro mounts are well designed and provide added protection for your transducer.

Here is a list of places you can purchase the BerleyPro mounts:

USA
http://shop.mariner-sails.com/BerleyPro ... egoryId=-1

Australia
https://www.berleypro.com/product/total ... its-hobie/

UK
http://berleyprouk.com/product/totalsca ... its-hobie/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting. I am wondering if there is any degradation in performance versus your previous install? (Also, thanks for giving us southerners a little incite into how you fish with your scupper remnants! Wacky Worm, Texas Rig, and is that a Z-Man TRD - maybe a little Ned Rig action going on?)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

STLKayak wrote:
Wacky Worm, Texas Rig, and is that a Z-Man TRD - maybe a little Ned Rig action going on?)

Yes, to all. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MTmouse,

When you ordered it, did you click their PayPal button, and if so, did it work? When I clicked the PayPal button, I was directed to a page asking for my billing address not the PayPal log in. I emailed them but have not received a reply as of yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

STLKayak wrote:
I am wondering if there is any degradation in performance versus your previous install?

I took it out today for the first time and I can honestly say I say no notable degradation in the image. I took some video with my phone while I was out there, I hope to have it edited in up on my YouTube channel tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grizz wrote:
MTmouse,

When you ordered it, did you click their PayPal button, and if so, did it work? When I clicked the PayPal button, I was directed to a page asking for my billing address not the PayPal log in. I emailed them but have not received a reply as of yet.

Are you trying to order from BerleyPro or Mariner Sails?

Last edited by Mtmouse on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BerleyPro. I went back today and filled out all the information then it sent me to PayPal. Done deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Grizz wrote:
BerleyPro. I went back today and filled out all the information then it sent me to PayPal. Done deal.

Great. I sent Martyn a message, so he probably looked into the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the video I did.

https://youtu.be/bwkR3RJ08Hs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ordered one from mariner and total cost is 67.00.
It's not on stock and they said will be shipped out to me next week as they are still waiting from AU shipment.
I can wait as I'm still looking for a good deal for the lowrance 7 TI. Basspro sells it for $799 plus tax.
Or maybe just buy the one with no chirp. Not sure I would need that as I only want to see structures around and bottom when trolling under 6 mph max. I'm not sure if chirp will help me catch big fish lol.

Anyone knows a good deal for this FF, please let me know.

Also I may need to cut the middle of my Hobie cradle to give way for this transducer cover instead of having to worry about it when dragging the yak in and out the trailer. Now I wish I have that same setup as STL (PVC with side cradle). I guess I can cut my cradle in the middle and strap the cut end around the crossbar. Or just leave it alone. The transducer cover might be strong enough to sometimes hit the cradle whenever I forget lifting it while pulling in and out the kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

nap wrote:
Ordered one from mariner and total cost is 67.00.

I can wait as I'm still looking for a good deal for the lowrance 7 TI. Basspro sells it for $799 plus tax.
Or maybe just buy the one with no chirp. Not sure I would need that as I only want to see structures around and bottom when trolling under 6 mph max. I'm not sure if chirp will help me catch big fish lol.

That is pretty much the standard price right now. The unit is new, so there probably won't be too many discounts for a bit.

If you do buy one and are looking at getting a Navionics+ card, make sure you did it at the time of purchase. There is a deal on until the end of July for $100 off the Navionics+ when purchased with certain chartplotters...the Lowrance Elite 7Ti is one of them.

CHIRP sonar is the standard on all Lowrances now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks MT.
I purchased yesterday without Navionics though.

Edited.
While waiting for the Berkley pro, I was able to construct a launching from trailer and return to trailer procedure that avoid the ducer from getting damage when it's crossing the rear cradle. I'll take a video of that procedure and share. Right now I'm still waiting for the berkleypro.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Done installing my BerleyPro.
I only received 2 screws though for attaching the cover to hull. Good I found one in my garage. I can't reuse the old screw as it's quite short. One thing I noticed though was I think the sand will definitely accumulate at the bottom of the ducer. The only thing I can do to prevent that or minimize that is to flood it with water right after I use the yak. And maybe open/clean after 10 times of usage.

https://goo.gl/photos/NKHXNSxCXoYmDspTA

I'll test this weekend which is another thing I need to observe as I have a Hobie cradle on my trailex trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm interested in your observation's. I installed my BerleyPro TotalScan transducer mount today and noticed that I won't be able to just drag it over the Hobie Cradle on my trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Grizz wrote:
I'm interested in your observation's. I installed my BerleyPro TotalScan transducer mount today and noticed that I won't be able to just drag it over the Hobie Cradle on my trailer.

I have to lift mine over the center bar of my bed-extender. It's not really an issue with the BerleyPro mount as it is with the size of the transducer. I had to do the same thing with my own mount.