Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new owner of a '19 Compass and love it. Did a shakedown run in Barnegat Bay NJ. I plan to fish it's swift currents, deep channels & shallow sandbars. I quickly realised the value MD KU fins as I ran aground on several sandbars. Pulsed the MD to deeper water but several times I could not. So I did the following: clipped the MD fins up, or pulled the MD completely & paddled off the bar. In both cases I pulled the rudder up. My question is did I do this correctly? I've since read the 2019 Compass rudder kicks up automatically. Did I need to pull the rudder at all? I should add I do understand pulling rudder when launching/returning.

Thanks for any and all advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you run aground, trying to pull out the MD can't be done unless you turn the kayak on its side.......so, using the bungee to hold the fins flush to the hulls bottom AND retracting and locking the rudder "up" is correct.

Caution: if you remove the MD, make sure to have a leash attached and securing it to the hull, so it does not get liberated from your kayak......a costly mistake if that were to happen.

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
If you run aground, trying to pull out the MD can't be done unless you turn the kayak on its side.......so, using the bungee to hold the fins flush to the hulls bottom AND retracting and locking the rudder "up" is correct.

Caution: if you remove the MD, make sure to have a leash attached and securing it to the hull, so it does not get liberated from your kayak......a costly mistake if that were to happen.

Happy New Year!

I forgot the dealer also suggested an MD leash.....gonna do that first thing. I guess I'm still confused about the rudder kicking up. If it kicks up automatically why do I need to worry about it? ...excepting of course for launch return.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

No sir you don't need to pull the rudder up while on the water unless you are beached (say on a sandbar) or where you might be in shallow water and get stuck. As long as you are moving forward and not sideways or backwards. If that happens then I would pull it up. Otherwise leave it down until you launch or load the kayak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
No sir you don't need to pull the rudder up while on the water unless you are beached (say on a sandbar) or where you might be in shallow water and get stuck. As long as you are moving forward and not sideways or backwards. If that happens then I would pull it up. Otherwise leave it down until you launch or load the kayak.

Ah ok that make sense. Thank you!