Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[youtube][/youtube]I hit the upper Willamette out of Willamette park in West Linn (10th street) on Thursday and had a fantastic day on the water. I got to the ramp by 5am and was fishing shortly thereafter. It was breezy right out of the gate with the wind out of the South and pretty dang cold for a July morning. I started out throwing a topwater (Sammy) and I was getting a ton of bites but with the chop on the water I was having a hard time hooking up.

The fish I did land early were mostly all dinks and that may have been part of the problem. I would occasionally put down the topwater and make a few casts with a swimbait or a crankbait but I quickly set those rods down and picked the topwater back up. It is hard to put down the topwater when they are smacking it so good even if the hook up rate was poor.

I worked my way along the hump that runs down the middle of the river and it was clear that the bass were traveling in wolf packs. No hits for a while and then all of a sudden I would get bites on every cast for a few minutes. They were mostly dinks but I would occasionally get a nicer fish thrown into the mix:

Eventually I was up close to one of my favorite points in the river and I worked it over with the topwater but I only missed a few fish. Since I love that spot I went back over it with the little swimbait and that turned out to be a good call. I picked up 4 bass off that spot including this nice one:

I went back out to the hump with the swmbait but after grabbing moss on a couple of casts I switched back to the topwater and they were still all over it. The topwater bite lasted until about noon and was best for me later in the morning. The breeze backed off a bit and the hits started turning into fish more often than not. I still missed my fair share including one maniac that jumped clear out of the water twice trying to eat it. It was probably the best topwater bite of my life. I have never had so many fish bite the topwater for such a long period of time. I even caught a good-sized pikieminnow which I know a lot of folks hate but I still think that they are an interesting bycatch.

Here is one of the nicer topwater fish:

Around noon the skies cleared a bit, the wind died down and the topwater bite slowed down. To be honest I am not sure if the bite slowed or if I just had finally moved myself up to less productive water. In any case I decided to take a break for a while, give my aching shoulders a well-deserved rest, and to try to upgrade my fishfinder on the water. Garmin units have an app on the fishfinder called Active Captain and a matching app for the phone. It took two tries but I was able to download the update to my phone, then transfer it to the FF and upgrade it. Overall it was pretty cool to get that to work.

After that I decided to push up river further than I usually do to explore and map out the river there. There is just so much cool and interesting structure with tons of steep drops and deep water rock piles. In the morning I was fishing in 5-10' of water so it was kind of fun try a little deep water drop shot fishing. I spent the next hour or two going along the edges of steep drops. I would dust off the adjacent flat with my swimbait and then drop shot in the deeper parts.

The day had turned calm and mostly sunny and I caught drop shot fish in 15', 20' and 30' of water. I just could not find a place where there were not fish that wanted to bite. It was just a crazy day. I ended up catching my best fish of the day (1lb 15oz) on the swimbait on a shallow flat right next to a steep drop.

To be honest by the time the afternoon rolled around I was kind of burnt our on catching fish. I spent more time mapping than fishing but that is an important job as well. The built-in maps are not horrible but they are missing tons of small humps and the locations of the drops are often off. I really love going back and forth and remapping everything with the quickdraw contours. It always pays dividends later!

After a while I decided it was time to head home. I pedaled some and just drifted some. The wind had picked back up a bit and was now out of the North. As I made my way back I decided to fish and map a point on the river that I had never fished before. It was sunny and bright and the fish were all over that point, once again in 5-10' of water, and just aggressive as could be. I was throwing the swimbait and they were hammering it. It is about as easy as fishing can get. Cast and retrieve, nothing fancy.

I ended up with 51 bass and if I had fished hard all day I am sure I could have easily surpassed 70. No big fish for the day but I would guess I had about 12 to 15 bass in the 1.5 to 2lb range. Surprisingly, the morning bite was the worst. The fish were almost all dinks and I was having a hard time hooking up. The bite picked up in both numbers and size as the day wore on. The sun coming out in the afternoon seemed only to make them bite even better. They were still biting like crazy when I left. Both my shoulders were hurting like a toothache and I just could not reel in another fish. That is not a bad problem to have!

Here is a video from the day. My daughter got me a GoPro Hero 8 for father's day and this was a great way to break it in! I also changed how I mount my camera and I think I like it a little better. At some point when I changed the batteries I shifted the angle a little (I don't like that quite as much) so I will have to be careful in the future.

Of course no day ever goes perfectly. I have some nice footage of losing a nice fish at the kayak near the end of the video :)

https://youtu.be/bNhub3tAfQk

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice report....I too fished that same area 30 yeas ago when I lived in LO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Dr. SteelheadCatcher.

When you fished there did you catch more smallmouth or largemouth? It is a smallmouth-fest now but I have heard that a lot of the Willamette used to have more largemouth than smallmouth. I know that they population of the Tualatin river has shifted from largemouth to smallmouth over the past 15 years. Used to mostly catch largemouth, now they seem like a prize.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I recall, mostly large mouth bass......also fished for sturgeon near the RR bridge and then trolling for salmon....stayed away from the "Meldrum Bar cannon ball casters" :wink:
Cedar Oak was such a great boat ramp back then and 8 minutes from home off Childs and Bryant roads.
I started off with an old 14' Glasspar and then a couple of years later, bought a 16' Bayliner at Staff-Jennings.....Mover to HR in 2002 and finally bought my first Hobie Outback in 2009 to fish around Hood River.