Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well crap, my 2019 Outback Mirage drive 180 started making more noise today. I thought I had it fixed by loosening the cables a tad and it was quiet for weeks until today. Things I have done already: I have lubed the pedals, it still made the noise if I pushed the arms instead of the pedals. I took the drive out and washed it in the water next to me. Shouldn't have to use any grease as per Hobie instructions. I put the drive into the Outback and it makes noise, take it out and actuate it and no noise. The pressure of pushing the water with the fins seems to contribute to it and the hull amplifies it.

I disassembled it about a half year ago because it was making some real nasty noises. Found a Delrin bearing in several pieces and a slightly flattened bearing too. Used grease sparingly putting it back together and it worked fine for a couple of months. Started to make some minor noise then adjusted the cables a little looser and it went away. I use it one to two times a week in fresh and salt water. Don't put my foot into it accelerating. I'll check some things this morning and if not obvious, I'll tear it down again. Video of noise: https://youtu.be/Gdr1rt3LIho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Get a warranty claim in. Flattened bearings are due to cable tensions. That does not go away.

You should lube the bearings though. Hobie Lube is best. Squirt into the gaps along the spine.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt was right, I think. I took the drive down to the bearings and found 6 in the rear race that had flattened on 2 sides which I replaced. Greased it a little to hold the bearings in place and buttoned it up. Less tension on the gear drive cables will help! Feels like butter again!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Took the rebuilt drive out for a run yesterday and it works like new! No noise and I backed off on the cables a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great that you got rebuild working. If it happens again file the warranty claim. I did that after my noisy 180 drive was past warranty and Hobie still made a free replacement but best to claim before warranty ends. In my case they initially saidc ost would be pro-rated but in the end they did 100% without me even asking for it...hooray.