Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am about to buy a new Revo. (My Fourth Hobie).

However the Vantage seat in the 2015 model appears to be much higher and therefore the centre of gravity is raised which may not be as good as a lower seat FOR SAILING?
Although the new Vantage seat is great I have always been comfortable in the old style seat and there is no Winter here so a wet butt is not a problem for me.
I would be happy to buy a 2014 Revo if the lower C of G made the boat's sailing characteristics more Stable or Lean-able or whatever.

Is this the case or is the butt-height of both models so similar that there would be no detectable difference?

(I will be using SIDEKICKS)

Thank You, Skymax.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know you addressed it to Matt, but it has been discussed on the forum quite a bit. The deck of the Revolutions (and Outback) were lowered so that the new seat, when in the low position, would have the same stability as the old seat. I was also worried about this until I tested the 2015 Revo13 at my local dealer. I was impressed enough with both comfort and stability to buy one the following week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="skymax"
(I will be using SIDEKICKS) If you are using sidekicks, you might be able to stand up and sail too!!! I know I am not Matt, but I just had to help aswer your question. [/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The deck of the Revolutions (and Outback) were lowered so that the new seat, when in the low position, would have the same stability as the old seat.

Correct!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you all! The Vantage seat certainly looks higher but I guess its an optical illusion or it IS a tad higher but somehow designed to not raise the C of G.

I should have made this an open Post as I am not even sure if this is Matt Miller's area but I remember his Revo advice was always good in the old days and didn't know who in particular to ask ATM.

My new, less-experienced, Hobie Dealer did say the lower seat was "better" for sailing but I felt that may have been a reasonable assumption not experience.
No fault of his, he was attempting to answer my question to the best of his knowledge.

This would be my second Revo the first was in 2007, I sold it when I bought my AI and have regretted not keeping it ever since.

PS: After studying the figures and seeing that the Adventure is only about 3Kg heavier than the Revo and has a Folding Skeg and faster hull I am now thinking I will get that model instead.

My early model AI cannot be upgraded with the improved Rudder Lift mechanism or the larger sailing Rudder neither can I fit the small sail to it so another boat is "necessary" :P

(it is also a struggle to disconnect the AMA from the AI on its trailer in a tiny garage and drag it off and on to my car. After living with cancer for 10 years I am as weak as cat. To be able to have a Hobie ready to go as a Kayak would make Yakking much easier.)

Last edited by skymax on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thinwater skinner wrote:
[quote="skymax"
(I will be using SIDEKICKS) If you are using sidekicks, you might be able to stand up and sail too!!! I know I am not Matt, but I just had to help aswer your question.
[/quote]

Thanks I have used them before and know what you mean, but sometimes I do not use them so I wondered what that mode would be like.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK so far I have my Hobie dealer saying the 2014 seat IS lower and IS better for sailing.
And I have another highly experienced Hobie dealer saying he doesn't know which is lower.
And we have Matt saying the stability is the same but not saying whether it is higher or not.

As someone who manufactured aircraft for 40 years I know that you can't make a CG change without it affecting the craft's behaviour in some way.

So, I am going to the dealer today with a measure and spirit level to find out what nobody knows.
What is the actual difference between the seat heights, if any.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

The intent was to leave stability unchanged from the 2014 models. The floors were lowered to allow us to set the seat in the lowest position and hope to attain the same level of stability. The older boat had a hard seat. The new boats have a mesh fabric, so you would have to measure from the point that the new seat is "loaded" or compressed down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking forward to what you discover Max. It's something I've been wanting to know as well. That and also how comfortable the new seats are when hiking out?
I wish someone who is familiar with the old Adventure could comment on the stability of the new seat in the Revo16 and it's suitability for sailing, compared to the old Adventure.
AFAIK there are still no Revo16's out here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The intent was to leave stability unchanged from the 2014 models. The floors were lowered to allow us to set the seat in the lowest position and hope to attain the same level of stability. The older boat had a hard seat. The new boats have a mesh fabric, so you would have to measure from the point that the new seat is "loaded" or compressed down.

Quite so, and thank you for you're continued support.

I placed the boats on the ground and sat in them, (I am 6'2" and 180 Lbs), we used a yardstick and spirit level on top of my head.
The difference was a mere 25mm and I think if I used the boat a few times the mesh would let me down that last Inch, or a heavier man would find it the same instantly.
So, there is very little difference that you would notice even though with the boats next to each other visually there appears to be when no one is sitting in them.

Great news! I paid the dealer and went home with my new Ivory Revo 16 which I shall float tomorrow.
Thank you all for your input.

Last edited by skymax on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I'm looking forward to what you discover Max. It's something I've been wanting to know as well. That and also how comfortable the new seats are when hiking out?
I wish someone who is familiar with the old Adventure could comment on the stability of the new seat in the Revo16 and it's suitability for sailing, compared to the old Adventure.
AFAIK there are still no Revo16's out here.

Love to help Stringy, you are the only guy on the Interwebs who has a video of Sailing the Adventure without girly AMA and with the stock sail in a fresh breeze. I believe it was a broad reach and you were hooting along sans Mirage, that's confidence!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hp7TzWb27k

I understand your question because on the old seat you could bend the downwind knee and sort of wedge your hip against the bum bucket but now you might fall overboard!
Such sailing winds are beyond my withered frame so I may not be able to "Extreme Adventure" like you do, but maybe in time..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your new kayak!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
Congrats on your new kayak!

Much thanks, I am ordering a Star Kayak Sail 3 SqMtr with Boom for it as I work in light winds mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6g6yeXWna4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please post videos when you get a chance to sail that combination, I bet it will be awesome.