Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my area the wind is generally about 5 knots. The standard sail kit that I use on my Outback is undersized. I am an experienced sailor. Is there a larger sail available?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

No larger sail is offered. Partly due to structural concerns for the mounts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Star Kayak Sails (kayaksails.com.au), an Australian business, offers sail kits of up to 4 m2 to fit Hobie mirage kayaks. I think the sail shown in the video below is 2.5 m2 in size and fitted to a Hobie Outback. My understanding is a sail kit includes mast and furling system, with an optional detachable boom. Follow the 'Brochure and Instructions' link at their site for complete details and prices.

As an experienced sailor, you will have a good understanding of how to manage the sail and furler to keep stresses on the mast receiver within acceptable limits.

Disclosure: I am not in any way associated with Star Sails.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No observable overload on the Step with the Star system, it uses a tube-within-tube system and the internal alloy is more bendy at the tops to allow air to spill before it overloads the mast step. As you know, its up to the Skipper to Furl some sail if the wind is strong before it reaches design strength overload. Roadrunner, I think, said that the 22 SqFt stock sail was made small-ish partly because it was easier for neophytes to handle.
2.5M2 is a good size for the Oasis.

Like you, I need more area for light conditions, and this design has a real Aerofoil cut in maintaining its shape up to 50% furled.
The stock Hobie sail has a constant Chord from foot to tops.

I only bought my Star sail 'cos the Hobie dealers are all out of the stock ones for a month here and IMO it was positive happenstance.
Star have Decades of experience making sails and endless customer support, same price as the Hobie rig.

Scroll down on this page for pics of my Star setup on the Revo 15/16 https://www.facebook.com/PlywoodPirates

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The built in structural safety device called 'capsize' that comes with all sail systems works particularly efficiently with sit-over-the-centreline sailing kayaks. Where I have heard of damage being done to Hobie sail systems (mainly bent masts) is when righting after capsizing. I guess this is due to a combination of weight of water on the sail and almost full body weight leverage.

Last edited by Lead Belly on Wed May 06, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lead Belly wrote:
The built in structural safety device called 'capsize' that comes with all sail systems works particularly efficiently with sit-over-the-centreline sailing kayaks. Where I have heard of damage being done to Hobie sail systems (mainly bent masts) is when righting after capsizing. I guess this is due to a combination of weight of water on the sail and almost full body weight leverage.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I only Turtled the Revo once sailing in a way too gusty gale on the Sea, it righted easily because I did not have the sheet cleated.
Our club captain has towed ashore a Hobie neophyte sailor who was rolled because he had the sheet fast and he was too fat and unfit to climb back on board.

This is the Third SOT Kayak Overboard case of someone being too obese to save themselves that I know about.
(One of them spent the whole night at sea clinging to his hull before being found the next day, he was only 19.)

Last edited by skymax on Thu May 07, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

skymax wrote:
Our club captain has towed ashore a Hobie neophyte sailor who was rolled because he had the sheet fast and he was too fat and unfit to climb back on board.

This is the Third SOT Kayak Overboard case of someone being to obese to save themselves that I know about.
(One of them spent the whole night at sea clinging to his hull before being found the next day, he was only 19.)

That's pretty sad. I'm 43, waaay overweight - 300 lbs - and I regularly practice reentry. (Hey, it's fun when the water's warm!) I can even stuff my fat butt back into a sit-in kayak! Sit-ons are easy, though I do need a paddle float. (Or an Island! :lol: ) Without the paddle float the kayaks just roll on their side before I can lift myself on/in to them. (Thus why I *always* have a paddle float with me.)

I suppose I am in pretty good condition compared to many overweight people. I'm definitely no couch potato. Only reason I'm so fat is I *LOVE* to eat. It's been an ongoing epic struggle to get my mouth under control... *sigh*

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I get you, my friend is close to your weight and the same age, but, like you, he is an active guy, has strength, and can haul himself onto his Revo if required.

The guys I refer to were so obese I was suprised they were able to kayak at all and obviously struggled to even just stand up from the seated position when I saw the news story on TV.