Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,

My niece is smart, fiesty and takes no prisoners. This June she goes to sailing school for two weeks before GirlScout "Horsie" camp. She is currently in 7th grade, she is so far ahead in Math, the teacher has her doing independent study of 8th grade math to test her out of it and take 9th grade math instead next year ... so her mother is not to "kean" on Megan missing any school early in the schoolyear until Megan gets in " the groove" so to speak. I'll have to be satisfied with sailing w/ her at HHS NAs' ... hopefully we will be able to move up standings a little bit from the 07s'. We did improve dramatically last year at the end of the season ... finishing in Third Place w/ a BULLET in the last race, Sharkey's Cup beating the division champion from behind. She has started calling tactics (when to cover and such) and laylines !!!

I personally do not want to race spin boats on a closed course w/ H-16s (the greatest Beach Cat ever) because of safety concerns over collisons currently. There are solutions to the safety issues but the toughest thing is that H-16A Fleet will have to learn to sail "to avoid collison" not "I have my rights ... -Starboard- ... collison be damned ...." I just persoally do not want to hurt anyone else, my fault or not, OK?

Have you ever competed on a H-16 @ 375lbs+ crew wieght ??? I have ... you usually lose ... badly. Especially to Wally Meyers, Jimmy Glanden, Randy&Janet Payne, Rich McViegh ... etc etc. And yes they still beat me in handicap races ... sometimes even boat-for-boat !!!

Sorry if I upset anyone ... I did chuckle when it occured to me that you guys are upset about the part about Women not liking to race spinnackers and you missed that I'm sailing with a 13 yr old female who most likely in 2-3 yrs will be on the helm of my boat w/ me on the "foredeck" providing the muscle for the spinnacker. Do you think that maybe more women would be racing spinnacker boats if they were on the helm using their (far superior) brains and letting us dumb big strong males to do the spinnacker work??? Thats were I am heading most likely several years from now with Megan if she wishes.

Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Division 14 has a regatta specifically for women called the Shegatta, where the men act as beach crew. This is giving helm experience to some great sailors that would otherwise probably not take the helm. Someday I'll learn how to post video to YouTube so everyone can see how well they do. When Megan is ready, she should come down to Texas and compete. We'll even loan her a boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

when my wife gets comfortable enough on the helm she will be taking the tiller . them i can sit out on the trap fat dumb and happy with a set of sheets and a nice view of everything and she can just run the tiller. i think we would actuallt be faster that way. Hell we couldn't be slower.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mike --

Do you have 5 boats committed to coming? Who are they? Can you list them? Do they have internet? Can you get them to post on this forum that they will definitely be there?

There is you and Jason. Can Jason post on this forum that he is coming to give your case a little momentum? Then there is Surf City Jeremy's boat that we will assume we can get chartered. Not sure to whom, but we'll give the benefit of the doubt for now. That makes 3. Where are the other 2 boats?

And let's face it, you really need 6-7 registered to have 5 on the starting line. I just don't know nor haven't heard nor been offered the names of 3-4 additional teams committed to making the trek to Harrison.

Get those names, and I am sure HCA will listen. Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see a FX-1 championship. Dig up the teams and your case will strengthen -- one team at a time! Good luck.

Post subject: five?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Karl Brogger is coming, and another boat is said to be coming from the East.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Who is coming from the east? They might be able to hook a ride on the big trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just what "they" say. But if you don't know, then maybe "they" were mistaken, or I misunderstood... it wouldn't be the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah well, I can hope. I also hope that this thread will be changed to the "HCA says YES the FXone" all we need is people and boats.

Jeremy is offering his FXone up for charter to anyone who is serious about attending. I do mean serious, backing out will screw alot/handfull of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We have received a registration form for 1 FX1 so far... Mike Hensel. Remember the key here is to get the registrations into us with your cheque. Mike and Karl have copies of the FX1 form, please use that one.

We WILL NOT be posting names on the event website until it is confirmed by HCA that we can include the class. However, i will update here as names come in.

so.. as of now.. 1 FX1 registered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2003 Hobie FX One # 238 was just sold "to a girl in Texas" off the sailingtexas website.

Maybe someone can email David and see about tracking her down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

!@#$%! Someone in Div7 was looking at that boat!!!!! God @#$# it! !@#%$ %$# *^%*

Crap! That was a good price too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I TOLD YOU to buy the (censored) boat Karl. Now some person is going to leave it sit on the trailer forever. Shi t.

Last edited by xanderwess on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Texas FX-One
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I quess "snooze you lose" is opertive phrase

Be nice gentlemen for I hope that "girl' comes out and Kicks Butt!!!

The more girls/women that prove me mistaken on my observations of Girls/women--Spin boats ... THE BETTER!!!

Now find her, ask who sold the boat for the new owners contact information!!!

Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

what Harry said

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7