Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me with my start
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Help me out with my start. I get stuck at the start EVERY time I race. I try to follow the other faster boats through the start and somehow I manage to get stuck in Irons at the start.

It never fails, I spend 10 minutes stuck at the start. Once I'm through I can roundt he marks just fine.

I've got more than enough mast rake. Block to block with no problem.
New Sails.
New standing rigging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rule number one...don't follow boats! If you're following behind boats, you're sailing in dirty air and you're gonna get burned. You need to get up in the front row, establish a hole to leeward to bear off into just before the start, and hit the line with speed. Many times it's easier said than done, and it takes a lot of practice at starting. But you have to get aggressive and just go for it if you want to get better at starting.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure you'll get lots of better replies from the "Rock Stars", but here are a few off the top of my head....

Think about starting with boatspeed in clear air rather than just getting right up on the line in the chaos near the committee boat with everyone else.

While approaching the start, sail more on the jib...less (none, if possible) on the main until you're ready to take off. If you need to kill some speed, do so by slashing the rudders back and forth rather than heading up. The jib helps keep the bow off the wind. With little boat speed, sheeting the main hard will over power the rudders and weathervane you. Don't sheet the main hard until you've got good boat speed/steerage. Practicing "parking" will give you a really good feel for the dynamics of this.

Get Rick White's Catamaran Racing for the 90's, and read....practice....repeat.

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rattle 'n hum wrote:
I'm sure you'll get lots of better replies from the "Rock Stars", but here are a few off the top of my head....

Think about starting with boatspeed in clear air rather than just getting right up on the line in the chaos near the committee boat with everyone else.

While approaching the start, sail more on the jib...less (none, if possible) on the main until you're ready to take off. If you need to kill some speed, do so by slashing the rudders back and forth rather than heading up. The jib helps keep the bow off the wind. With little boat speed, sheeting the main hard will over power the rudders and weathervane you. Don't sheet the main hard until you've got good boat speed/steerage. Practicing "parking" will give you a really good feel for the dynamics of this.

Get Rick White's Catamaran Racing for the 90's, and read....practice....repeat.

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi

That is some of the best starting advice you will get anywhere and from anyone.
Jerome, you advise like a rock star :lol:

a couple of additions,

Jerome covered this already, but if you have a name for what you want to avoid, it makes it easier. Avoid getting caught up in the "Clump of Death", that knot of boats all trying to get the "perfect start" 10 boats may try, 1 MIGHT get it,

Always have a starting strategy, BUT keep in mind that the best starters are opportunists, be prepared to abandon your plan if it isn't going to work out, and be prepared to take advantage of a better opportunity should it present itself.

Lastly, boatspeed and clear air are King at the start line.

If necessary, sacrifice position ON the line for clear air.

try if possible to have a lane to leeward so you can foot off for speed after the start,

Lastly, as Jerome said, get Rick White's Catamaran Sailing for the 90's or even Jack Sammons Welcome to A-Fleet Book 2 Tactics.
Read them regularly, use a highlighter, there will be things that you will read, and not really comprehend.

Worry not, as you continue to sail, more and more becomes clear.

I've been sailing 28 years, and on the way from the H-18 NAC's in Canada, I made a half a page of notes about things I had learned on the water during the course of the week.

In my opinion, that is one of the great things about sailing, the learning never ends. Sailing, and sailboat racing will challenge you for all the days of your life.

Stephen

Post subject: Starting a Race
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The advice from Jeremy and Stephen is spot on when you are actually starting a race .... but let's back-up alittle to what you should do on the water before you start a race ....

All good commanders survey the battlefield before the battle .... race car drivers "walk" the track ..... so ....

Get out to the starting area EARLY .... and sail around alittle, mostly upwind of the starting line. You should be looking for wind shifts or current influences that maybe different from where the starting line is located. These could be caused by topgraphy/geographical differences

I learned from Mr Tim Stater to "Time the Line": simply sail the starting line in both directions noting how long it takes to sail from end to end on the starting line. (note: Tim was a champion Laser and H18 sailer)

From Wally Meyers I learned to determine which end of the line is favored. Place your boat "head to wind" on the line ... while kneeling on the tramp raise your arms start out from your sides .... site along your arms and determine is the pin is in front of your outstretched hand or behind, same for the committee boat, also look straight upwind: is the "A" Mark to the left, straight, or right of your nose. (note: everyone knows Wally's resume')

Now you have all the physical information you need to plan for a start.

Add to this your knowledge of the tendencies/habits of the sailors in your fleet.

Now you can formulate a plan for your start ... sometimes you want to get there early .... sometimes last ...

By knowing how long the line is you can determine how early is TOO early. ex: if the line is 1min long if you get there before 1 min you will run out of line if you foot down the line, but if the line is set "Pin High" at 45 secs you may wish to turn the afterburners on and go for the pin knowing you can not get to the pin early and be over

By knowing which end of the line is favored you will know where you wish to start. ex: committee boat high- start at the committee boat, therefore come in late, letting everyone else get there early and have to foot down the line or risk being over early (usually a hole develope at the committee boat ) .... but if there is a huge pack of boats and knowing the length of the line, at the right moment foot under everone and run for the pin .... footing out in front of the pack

If "A" mark is slightly right or wind is better on the right side of the course: Start at the committee boat end "Last" and tack away onto port ASAP. You will controll the right side of the course and be in CLEAR AIR!!!!

Sometimes its best to tack away ASAP to get Clear Air and tack back above the fleet to cover and you will be on starboard controlling any crossings.

If the Pin is high, there is always the RISKY Pin end on Port Tack start!!!! Timing the line is the key here so you can determine if anyone can come down the line and slam the door shut on you. If no none is on the line w/ 1 min (line is 1min long) to go, time it so as to be a full speed at the pin end, at the gun .... you will be in clear air and be able to cross the fleet!!! Note, that it helps to have a long starting line for this. If you can't cross either tack early, "lee bowing" the fleet or foot down and look for a hole to cross through ... once you pass through you will be in clear air ....

To repeat Stephen .... CLEAR AIR, CLEAR AIR, CLEAR AIR

Try to be at FULL SPEED when the starting gun/horn sounds!!!!!

Make a preliminary plan for the start ... but be willing to change it at the last moment as other racers/boats influence events.

Champions win by FOOTING ... mid-packers try by pinching ....

And FYI ... While I have never had the pleasure to compete against Jeremy, I have competed against Stephen ..... Mr Stephen Cooley is a MASTER in the H18 Fleet ... and a fine gentleman ... I listen to and note all his advice .... (if you do not believe me just look at the last several recent H18 NA Results .....

Sail Flat, Sail Fast, Sail Safe

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11