Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dear 21SE sailors, I am a french guy just getting to action: I am in the process to purchase a 21SE (raid) in the south of France, 1989, imported 1999 from California.

The boat does not wear traces of a drama, except the mast: it bends slightly to Port side while the bottom plate attaching the shroud to the mast on starboard has apparently been repostionned near its original position....I'd say this boat cap sized, the plate was teared out and the mast bended... During the purchase visit, I wanted to believe a tuning of the shroud would be sufficient to correct the bending (hard to estimate, may be 2 to 3 inches from bottom to top).

a quick parenthesis: it is interesting how much you can get unconsciously blind when you inspect a boat you want.....
Now, I engaged a portion of the boat value to lock the sale, and should finalize the purchase this week end:
your help is needed to decide how to manage the problem, and if this is a real one!

- I guess I should release the shroud tension and see how the mast naturally positions itself ? (although its weight may anyway create some bending)
- would the mast be definitly bended, what is the 'acceptable' bend to consider? (I guess I should measure the max distance by pulling a rope between both ends..)

Thanks for your support, i am excited getting this boat, but a bit anxious also: as I could try it, and did pay it a fortune at this time of the year.....

Ludovic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buyer beware...what other problem have you not seen with this boat. :?

Do the wing pockets leak?

Is the trailer strong enough to support the boat?

Look at were the boat and trailer makes contact, is there any problem there? Rollers or cradles?

Has the boat been repainted? What's under the paint?

If the mast has issue and your comfortable tackling those issue than good luck.

I have sailed my 21SE since it was brand new, given it love, kept it covered and clean. Has this boat be cared for?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bill for the wise questions...that makes me even more anxious ! :?

regarding the wing pocket, there's probably one leaking as I could see some joint inside.
Regarding the mast...slightly bended is no-go, or can still go ?

overall, this cata is well equipped, but has been repainted, and not much taken care off: the hardware is original etc...
just the tramps, the wings, the sails are in good condition, the rest is quite 'vintage'.
hulls are looking rather ok, but I could not inspect the bottom yet.

hmmm, I am in doubt, please help with some good criteria to make a decision !
Seem a HC18 "pacific" could be an easier option...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can walk you through a wing socket repair job, it's challenging without experience but doable.

I have read about sailors straightening a bent mast but never needed to myself so I guess it doable too.

One credit you will really love is the wing seats. Probably the comfortable catamaran made. :P

I am looking into placing wing seats on an F18 Capricorn or Cirrus. I want to try out a more current designed boat that is compatible for adding custom wings. . I sail my "antique" 21SE as often I can but I am wanting something new and different....I am ready for an affair... please don't tell my 21SE.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

thanks to Bill and Matt I could get some rational inputs and finally purchased the 21SE.
When releasing the shrouds, mast was very close to straight line, hulls are ok, Wing sockets watertight (still one seems a bit 'soft' at the surface of the deck....to be monitored)

I discovered an issue when dismantling the boat: a rudder blade is opening like a flower....20cm long slot top front, 2mm opened, foam visible
would you suggest a repair is possible, or should I rather look for a HC 18 blade, and if so, is is the same set up and holes position at the tiller level?

thanks,
Ludovic
From France
planning to sail in Corsica, dream place for HC21