Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried to search for this with inconclusive results. Seems like if you did it might cause problems with a spinnaker but nothing about actually doing it. Many years ago I use to be a foredeck monkey and if something goes wrong or simply to anchor a front tramp seems like a good idea. Not to mention it might cut down the spray. I have also seen peeps say a front cross member helps with using a dolly on the beach.

I am still trying to figure out which beach cat to buy and have seen a local SE that interests me. On the other hand I have also looked at some Getaways on the internet that are a lot more family friendly. I am not a hard core racer; more of a day sailor and camp cruiser. But I do intend to go to some local races.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe this one?
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65257

I"ve got a Getaway, and it's a nice, family friendly, easy boat. I do sort of lust after the 21SC-bigger, faster! But I solo a lot and I'm not sure about capsizing a 21SC.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 21 SC is designed with a front trampoline and it really adds a lot of "deck" space! I have single handed mine quite a bit. They are quite a bit bigger than the getaway and with the Cat Cabin very stable. with an easy hand on the main sheet, settles down quickly. (I am selling mine after 14 years of fun use!........see classifieds). Happy to forward info.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the SE version - it is faster than the SC, a LITTLE lighter (not much), wider and simpler. No little cat-cabin. Main sail is not designed to furl, stock though mine was later modified to reef (but I don't).

There are screwed on anchor points where someone had a front tramp on it before me. Could not have been much for bearing weight, I'd think. Really would need the extra cross-bar like the SC has (the SE does not). Mine, without the front tramp I think would comfortably sail 5 or 6 people on a cruise, with the wings.

Really, the boat is an absolute blast, when tuned easy to handle in moderate winds and really simple in it's original form. What you have to get used to is setting up with a gin pole to raise mast and the thing is heavy - you're launching it at a ramp or trailering it to water's edge or cat-trax only. There's no dragging it anywhere. Haven't even tried the cat-trax yet.

Chuck