Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As an owner of a Hobie 21SE I've learned that the mast is near impossible to replace, so I'd like to do what I can to prevent damage to it.

It is my understanding that the standing rigging is the most critical part to keep the mast and me safe (feel free to chime in or disagree at any time) so the shrouds need to be in tip-top shape. If one of the shrouds break the mast will come down potentially causing critical damage to the boat and crew. What about the forestay and bridles, are those equally important? If one bridle breaks it seems to me that the mast would still stay up but leaning. Also if the jib is attached that seems to keep the mast up even if the forestay breaks. And vice versa. Is this assumption correct?

If so, I should focus on replacing the shrouds. Are any other parts critical as well? I have the base of the mast loosely tied down to the frame in case the mast base or ball should break. What about the diamond wires? What happens if one of them breaks?

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

From what I've studied, cables breaking are somewhat rare, especially for those people replacing standing rigging every couple of years. Not worth keeping old rigging up there. More likely, you loose a pin because the ring ding works it's way out, or a less than optimum brand of shackle is used, etc. Daily inspection, secure shackle pins with rings, tape, etc.

BTW - make sure you're buying 316 Stainless cable - NOT Chinese. There's 304 and 316, mostly, but the 316 doesn't corrode and is no more expensive when dealing with a conscientious rigger. I got a shackle at Academy sports (just in the marine section) and somehow it ended up in my parts box. I later used it at the mast tang to hold the shrouds, etc. I need to post pictures of the result - it's now oblong after 2 sailing sessions. And it looked beefy, too! When I discovered that, I went out and bought a Harken one immediately before next sail. Harken actually tests their gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murray's can make any of it up a size from stock.

I replaced my upper furler with some Harken cruising model, and Murry's made a pretty upper forestay out of the heavier stuff, the length I needed. I forget the sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will make new shrouds myself from 4 mm SK99 Dyneema. I am more interested the forestay and maybe the diamond cables. Are they as important as the shrouds? My cables all look good but they are probably at least 10 years old.

I will certainly only by 316 stainless equipment and only from good dealers.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shroud extenders are highly recommended on H21's. Keep your standing rigging in good shape, make sure the ball on the mast step isn't stripped out. Check your comp-tip to mast joint.

Once you have done those things, there isn't much more you can do. Personally I wouldn't bother with secondary connections between the mast base and mast step.

I would encourage those with experience to weigh in on this, but in my guestimation significant mast failures on H21's occur most often when:
1) Boat stored on beach flips over in storm
2) :x :x :x :x Comp-Tip failed, not sure why.
3) Oops, ring ding fell out and mast fell down.
4) Stays or shrouds fail

Minor mast damage occurs when:
1) Mast step ball is stripped, mast pops out when mast is lowered.
2) :roll: ring ding fell out, and you get lucky and damage is very minimal
3) shrouds fail, and you get lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't think I have a comp-tip :shock: My mast looks solid all the way.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7f9AA8TwKPhz3msF8

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dhaglund wrote:
I am more interested the forestay and maybe the diamond cables. Are they as important as the shrouds? My cables all look good but they are probably at least 10 years old.

Forestay, bridles, and upper pigtail are all important. Any one of them fails and the mast comes down. Diamonds are a little less critical since you may be able to limp home with them broken (of course the mast could also snap in half if they fail). Age of the wires is not really a factor. What is important is how much use the wires have seen and how they have been cared for. If they have been in the basement for 8 of those 10 years, probably no issue. If they have been rigged on a beach for those 10 years, sailed every weekend, exposed to salt, and banging around with the rig, then definitely time to replace.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to add to SM’s post. Use is more important than age. I picked up a very well cared for H16 (indeed it was super-clean) that was sailed actively (and fast) and stored mast up on the beach. Salt water. I’ve been replacing everything in the standing rigging as a precaution and have found almost everything “looked” ok, but why risk it? And when I replaced the shroud anchors, I found they had started to crack suggesting the rigging had seen some hard use. So I’m replacing it all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shroud anchors on this boat would be tough to replace... Way different than other models.

ANd the non-comptip mast???!!! What the heck? That sure isn't stock, that I know of. How long is your mast? Got more pics?

Looks like someone replaced the mast at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your mast looks like a formula 21 mast ...the Euro version for the 21SE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know for sure that I have an American Hobie 21SE. But I don't know if the mast has been replaced. I will get some more photos. I measured it at one time and if I remember correctly it was just over 10m or almost exactly 33 ft.

It could also be that the 21SEs for export never had a comp-tip? I'm just guessing here. Regardless I'm happy without a comp-tip since it seems they can cause problems sometimes.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are some more pictures of the mast. It would be nice to know for sure if this is a stock mast or where it came from.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1qNF6PCwqqAeKZvm6

I looked around the Internet for some Hobie 21 Formula pictures. They are scarce but it is possible that it is a 21 Formula mast.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

More on the comp-tip :

If you have a comp-tip ; it's made with polyester resin, that does NOT
hold up well to Heat.
I would suggest that you sand it with 220g wet/dry and water , (no mask needed)
then paint it with any LIGHT color paint, that has UV protection in it. If you don't
then expect that thing to break ; and good luck finding a replacement !!

Bille

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was able to find an extra 21SE mast in great shape from a parts boat I picked up last weekend. :D

This extra mast weighs 71 lbs. and my original mast weighs 74 lbs. I did add some fiberglass to my comtip three years ago and my exit blocks (2) are heavy duty and not composite like this spare mast has. Plus ,I added a Nautos XR1 SINGLE ROPE CLUTCH to hold my spinnaker halyard from creeping through the exit block so my top down furling spinnaker anti torque line functions right. So there is the extra 3 lbs.

Now, I will detail this extra mast and add a couple of upgrades so it is ready change out if needed. Than off to the warehouse for storage.

I may take the extra hulls to the landfill unless someone needs them.... :(

Or practice my craft and rebuild the wing sockets.....and search of other missing parts that this parts boat is missing....