Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've finally had a couple really good sails with the 21sc and i'm second guessing the 6:1 mainsheet I purchased. It seemed a lot easier on a h16 or I'm just getting old. I'm using the typical Harken H194 base with a 40mm triple Carbo on top. I never had the original 7:1 setup so I have nothing to compare to. Can anyone offer their opinion on having the 7:1 vs. the 6:1 on a 21sc? Also, based on what I can find from Harken, the blocks have plenty of capacity when using with the gin pole to raise and lower the mast but they just look wimpy compared to the 7:1 blocks. I'm interested if anyone has had failures. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can't give direct comparisons - Just inherited an 8:1 and was using the stock 6:1 that came with the SE. Huge difference, but a lot more line on the boat, but I don't care. My 6:1 came apart, but it was my fault for taking it apart to change the sheet angle and not using thread locker to put it back together. Happened while sailing; had to hold the damned thing together as we sailed back to the beach. Lucky I had a spare!

Doh!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use 8:1 on my H18, I would recommend the same for the SC. I had 12:1 on my 21SE with a squaretop main. It was a lot of line to deal with, but otherwise was very hard to sheet in when it was blowing.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California