Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,
Anybody have thoughts on the H-21 SC main halyard arrangement? With the sail up, the halyard rubs on the spreader., forward or aft of the bar makes no difference, it rubs either way. Any solution? Move the cleat and cheek block forward and bring the halyard forward of the spreader? Reroute the halyard down the mast?
I saw a -16 with the halyard cleat all the way forward on the mast (at the 12 o’clock position.). Interesting...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Briz wrote:
Hi guys,
Anybody have thoughts on the H-21 SC main halyard arrangement? With the sail up, the halyard rubs on the spreader., forward or aft of the bar makes no difference, it rubs either way. Any solution? Move the cleat and cheek block forward and bring the halyard forward of the spreader? Reroute the halyard down the mast?
I saw a -16 with the halyard cleat all the way forward on the mast (at the 12 o’clock position.). Interesting...

Hi Briz,
I looked at a couple of pictures of my lines after you made this post. In my opinion the starboard cleat is probably the best position with the halyard coming from the forward side of the spreader. This would give the halyard a better angle exiting the top of the mast pulley and settle the line against the smooth surface of the spreader arm. If the halyard were run directly down the front of the mast I would be concerned with it rubbing against the mast tangs and the spreader bar assembly where there's a lot more hardware to get caught on.

Are you leaving the mast up for the season? I wouldn't expect the chafing on the spreader bar to do any damage unless it's rubbing for a very long time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply.
We have tried running the main halyard THREE different ways, 1) forward of the spreader, 2) through the spreader, and 3)aft of the spreader. There is no guidance from Hobie in the assembly manual OR set up video that I have found. (Maybe Matt knows)
Using the designated starboard (mainsail)cleat on the mast, it rubs the spreader bar in all cases. We are thinking about relocating the cleat farther forward on the mast, not all the way to front and center, but about halfway between, to ease the tendency to rub and run the main halyard FORWARD of the spreader bar.
We do not leave the mast up in winter. We derig the boat and store her indoors.
Also, Our new Gennaker halyard does the same thing. We mounted the new cleat to the port side of the mast.
If results on the main halyard after the modification are positive, we may move the Gennaker cleat forward also.

We have owned her for three seasons and find her very capable for sailing Lake Michigan. In the past I have owned three -16s
and two -18s. She is not as fast as the others (Except when broad reach flying the Gennaker) but way dryer and more comfortable. Old guys like me can still enjoy trapping off her huge wings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Been a LOT of years since I sailed a SC. It is run through the spreaders in the setup video. I believe that is the most direct route. Never head that rubbing caused an issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt!
We will make the change....