Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i11S PSI?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone tell me with confidence what the Hobie i11S should be inflated to? Main chamber and side chambers? I cannot find this information. I emailed Hobie but haven't heard back. Thanks!

-Mack

Post subject: Re: i11S PSI?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mack wrote:
Can anyone tell me with confidence what the Hobie i11S should be inflated to? Main chamber and side chambers? I cannot find this information. I emailed Hobie but haven't heard back. Thanks!

-Mack

A pressure of 3-5 PSI is

adequate if you have a pressure gauge. The easiest gauge

of a good working pressure is to have the chambers inflated

to a firm pressure when you press on them.

· Do not pump to a high pressure and let the kayak sit out

in the sun. If the kayak is going to be in a warm environ-
ment, slightly under-inflate the chamber and allow the heat

from the sun to increase the internal chamber pressure.

When kayaking, the colder temperature of the water may

cause a slight loss in chamber pressure. It is a good idea

to carry a pump with you so that you can add some air to

the chambers if necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've read that for the outside chambers (3-5 psi), but what about the main chamber?

The main chamber is dropstitched like a regular SUP. Most inflatable SUPs are rated at 10-15 psi. But I can't find this info anywhere for the i11S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Instead of likening the i11s to an inflatable sup, treat like all the other Hobie inflatables. Pump air until pump ceases to let you pump any more...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ZiaKayak wrote:
Instead of likening the i11s to an inflatable sup, treat like all the other Hobie inflatables. Pump air until pump ceases to let you pump any more...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

But that's just it, it's not like the other inflatables. Call me OCD, but want to know the exact number. I thought the Hobie engineers would have published a recommended PSI for the i11s, if anything just to avoid warranty cases of people over inflating them. The website even advertises the drop-stitch technology being inflatable to higher pressure... but doesn't say what that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

daft wrote:
Mack wrote:
But that's just it, it's not like the other inflatables. Call me OCD, but want to know the exact number.

I believe your drop stitch is similar to the drop stitch floor on my i12s kayak which also needs 3-5 psi according to it's manual at the time. ..The pump is obviously not a high pressure one like for a thin SUP; it's a high volume one like all the other 3.6 psi ones. It would be excruciating or impossible to force 10-15 psi out of that pump. You would need a low volume high pressure pump like on 3 of my inflatable SUPs.which rate 15 psi (one bar).

I agree Hobie should be more explicit with pressure, but the hand pump hardens up anyway at around 3.6. Put in a little more effort and you reach 4psi with room for sunbake expansion to 5. The pump may be designed this way. .

So I was in the store today (I take delivery on Friday) and asked the rep about the PSI...He called Hobie direct and they did confirm the same 3-5 PSI for the main chamber of the i11s. So what you are saying about the pump makes sense I guess. Still seems low to me, and odd based on the website advertising that says "the drop stitched floor construction allows much higher inflation pressures..." But the Hobie rep said do not go over 5 PSI. Maybe the Hobie drop-stitch design is different from other drop-stitch SUP boards that are advertised as inflating to 18 PSI (like NRS Heron 11, etc).

Thanks to all who commented on this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mack wrote:
So I was in the store today (I take delivery on Friday) and asked the rep about the PSI...He called Hobie direct and they did confirm the same 3-5 PSI for the main chamber of the i11s. So what you are saying about the pump makes sense I guess. Still seems low to me, and odd based on the website advertising that says "the drop stitched floor construction allows much higher inflation pressures..." But the Hobie rep said do not go over 5 PSI. Maybe the Hobie drop-stitch design is different from other drop-stitch SUP boards that are advertised as inflating to 18 PSI (like NRS Heron 11, etc).

Thanks to all who commented on this.

If I stop with the hand pump once the going gets tough, I register around 3.3 - 3.5 PSI in the main chamber. I can get it over 4.5 if I risk popping a hernia, but now I use an electric pump to get the center to 5 PSI, 4.3 - 4.5 on the side chambers.

Per Jbernier's point, I go lower when it's hot outside!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If I stop with the hand pump once the going gets tough, I register around 3.3 - 3.5 PSI in the main chamber. I can get it over 4.5 if I risk popping a hernia, but now I use an electric pump to get the center to 5 PSI, 4.3 - 4.5 on the side chambers.

Per Jbernier's point, I go lower when it's hot outside![/quote]

I had is out last weekend and pumped it up until it was firm. No idea what PSI it was at. But I did get a PSI gauge in the mail this week that only goes up to 5PSI. Hopefully that will give me a better read next time out.

Side note-- I found that the Hobie pump mounts nicely behind the seat (below the lumbar bar) using two bungee ball straps. Seems so natural for it to go there I am surprised Hobie didn't make some sort of strap for it.