Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I14T sailing problems
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,

I have the sail kit for my I14T. I'm not sure if it's something in the way I rig the sail but I can't seem to get any power from the sail into the boat. Even in a moderate to strong breeze the sail wont move the boat without me peddling as well. I'm fairly heavy at 105kg/230 lbs. I suppose that could be a factor. I have the sailing rudder and normal mirage drive. My rigging technique is basically to make all the lines as tight as possible...I know it will never be a proper sailing dinghy, but I feel like it should perform better than it is currently.

Would appreciate any ideas or experiences you guys can share.

thanks
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:34 am 
Site Admin

How much sailing experience do you have? Maybe over sheeting the sail? Pointing too high?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

daft wrote:
Barry Dazzler wrote:
My rigging technique is basically to make all the lines as tight as possible...

Should be more like as loose as possible, as in to give the mainsail the most forward thrust angle without quite letting the sail flap. See the below excellent video on a i12s, and note the leeward shroud loose and letting the sail heel rather than the boat. Note he has one foot straddling the fin pedals to keep them in a vertical down daggerboard position. Overlooking that seems to be the most common mistake I see on other youtubes - don't let your mind wander and let the fins spread upward. Maybe you can install the other fin drive and use bungee to keep them in down position. The more lateral area the better but it's fore and aft location could give unbalance and affect steering. The i14s has a relatively smaller % sail area, but should act like the i12s in terms of favoring "into the wind" (50-80 degrees off) because there is otherwise no boom to keep a nice shape in side winds and tail winds. Lot's of mods you can do, but something else is the problem now.

Ahhh fantastic, this gives me some hope! I will try loosening the lines right off. Does that apply to all of them or just the port and starboard ones? How about the pressure in the boat, do you think I need to inflate to max psi?

Thanks, I really appreciate the tip.

Barry