Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Care of Inflatables
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering an iTrex 14 but I'm a little put off by comments about seams failing on 12 year old inflatables. Are the adhesives better now? I read one post that says to avoid "high heat" which can weaken seams. What constitutes "high heat". Should I avoid loaning my kayak to Randy Johnson?

I love the idea of taking my kayak on an airline (paying extra) and not trying to put a Compass Duo on a roof rack.

Post subject: Re: Care of Inflatables
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In 12 years they will hopefully offer new exciting hull designs that will have you lusting for an excuse to upgrade anyway. I was almost happy after my early hull failure, until wuflu made the upgrade unobtainable. The way to save money is managing expensive drive lifetimes. They can outlast the hull so you can just replace the hull and not the drive. In fact I think many could delete or sell one of the drives of a tandem, because your intended partner almost always turns out to be half hearted and a noshow or just a no-pedal passenger. They can windmill the paddle to get points for participation or exercise.