Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I thought about the Lynx and Compass before buying the Itrek9; They are great kayaks with more capabilities, but for my use case the iTrek9 has been superb and clearly the best choice.
I leave it partially inflated in my garage and top it up before going out. I bought a Hobie shoulder bag that holds Mirage drive, rudder, oars and a dock anchor line- I keep this loaded and ready. So I put the bag, seat and a life jacket in the trunk. I don't have a trailer or a truck. I throw the iTrek onto my compact car's roof rack (Audi A5 sportback) and attach with two straps. This routine I've reduced to 7 minutes

There is a boat ramp about a mile from my house to a beautiful chain of 7 lakes which can be enjoyed all year (Florida)- I unload and am on the water within 12 minutes after arrival. Here is where the light weight makes a big difference. Walking a 20lb boat out vs a 45lb or 60lb boat is a world of difference. I walk the Itrek board out onto the dock, put the paddle together, attach the seat and rudder, lower it into the water with flexible dock line attached, then attach Mirage drive . I step onto the iTrek and I'm off. The simplicity of going out with this has made it something I look forward to essentially any sunny day. I can get home from work as I did today at 4pm, and be on the water before 430pm. I can cover 3+ miles before coming back in and do some stand up paddle board time as well. Of course the best days I'm out 3+ hours and sometimes just relax and enjoy the beauty while having snacks.

It feels very stable for me to stand up and paddle but I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs, so it might not be for someone larger.

I do have a Bixpy jet which I use on my Bote paddle board but haven't felt the need on the Hobie. I also have an H-crate which I seldom use but have rigged it to hold Bixpy battery and a motor mount. Perhaps if I was on a longer trip or in a situation where I'd have to go upstream, I might supplement with the Bixpy.

It is such a joy to move near effortless across the water in this featherweight boat. I wear my street shoes because I've never gotten wet though the lake has wakeboard boats, and lots of jet skis. When the lake is like a mirror, as it often is, there is nothing more enjoyable then gliding nearly silently, enjoying the sights and sounds, and frankly it is easier than walking. I'm glad I didn't buy something heavier or more complex. I do understand someone out fishing or camping might need much more capabilities with fishfinders and power poles etc, but for someone like me that just loves being on water, I can't imagine a better way of doing it. I'm excited now about taking this with me to some mountain lakes and possibly on international flights. 2500+ seems expensive for a paddle board with mirage drive but the efficiency and simplicity of set up and use means it will be used often.
Kudos to Hobie for making this possible.

ps someone on this forum had written there were few reviews so i thought I would do one now that the board has held up to lots of use over 6 months and is just like new.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks; maybe the next thing to consider are turbofins. Not only to increase speed potential, but slow down to a comfy cadence for the same speed. No downside except price and a bit more water depth required.

I've always wanted to try polarized glasses for those calm days with sun reflecting off the water and under my hat brim. What I have tried is regularly carrying a gopro or clone. Maybe 1 out of 20 outings have some amazing occurrence to be captured. For the other 19 trips normally you can just let the camera overwrite the oldest recordings without fuss. You can also use it as a dashcam.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I currently have a PA 12/360, and am considering the iTrek9 as a much lighter alternative. Have you ever fallen/rolled in deep water, and if so how easy was it to get back on?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

https://youtu.be/aYWMP2IDjws?t=155 Easy reboard of similar craft seen at 2m35s

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank You yaw_string!

That was very helpful! Reboarding looks easier than on my PA. Plus that circular sail system looks interesting. I have the larger furling system on my PA and get about the same speed.

Thanks again,

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My only thought is that the i11s in the video, and the current iTrek11 both have pontoons that improve lateral stability. The iTrek9 doesn't have these and I find the lateral stability more challenging. Getting back on is more challenging as the board wants to flip, though with practice I should be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I should also add that the lack of any bow d-rings/bungie is limiting relative to the iTrek 11. If adding a sail is important, would be easier with the 11.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you danielou! That's valuable info to consider. My 360 is less than a year old, and works great once it's in the water. But towing and launching this barge is a bit of a challenge, and as I get older, ease of transport, and reboarding safety are becoming more of a concern.