Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zoom zoom (iTrek 11)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've owned numerous kayaks/boats over the past decades but the iTrek 11 was my first pedal drive, and without a doubt it is a total game changer, especially on boats that are not "paddle friendly" (which honestly seems to be most fishing kayaks these days.) That said I also have a few boats I have motorized over the years, and there are days when I prefer to kick back and zoom around the lake.

So ever since I got the iTrek I've been eyeing the Torqeedo Evolve but it is outrageously expensive, I've never seen it in stock until very recently, and it is powered by what seems to be a rather large and clunky controller that looks like it was built by Atari in the 1980s.

After much research and some helpful links people posted, I took matters into my own hands and ended up with a sweet little Hasswing motor installed into a universal cassette, paired to an FPV-Power PWM unit and their 50ah battery. I'm still in the prototype phase, but I created a mounting harness and sewed a custom neoprene cover for the PWM so that my power controls sit at the same position as my rudder. Then I've got an in-progress "power box" that fits under my seat with cut outs for my output cables, and space to store spare tools, first aid kit, and the PWM for transport.

Next steps are to create a neoprene case for the power box, and add some handles for easy carrying and to serve as a tie-down spot for a carabiner. I've also got a set of d-rings on order to clean up the wiring from the motor to the PWM. This is by far the lightest/cleanest motorized setup I've ever done. The motor itself weighs almost nothing, and the 50ah battery is half the size and weight of my previous 50ah LifePo4 (which was already one of the smallest and lightest on the market at the time.)

I cannot wait for open water here in MN!