Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI outboard mount
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

is that Baja?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm guessing it's lake Havasu, (parents used to live there), been there several times, love that place. The palms give it away, too far south for colorado. Am I right....
FE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, Lake Havasu. Pictures are from today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI, I had the 2.5 hp outboard with me. I took some video of this and possibly will post later but I did an experiment where I had the outboard in nuetral and reved up to where the rpm limiter kicks in. You can clearly hear where this happens and a post earlier confirmed this rpm limit happens at 6000 RPM.

I then ran that outboard full throttle, motor sailing, etc and it always runs at a lower RPM that the limit at 6000. At least for the Suzuki 2.5 hp, the prop that comes with that outboard works very well on the TI. This is at about 450 ft elevation and at full throttle I reach about 7.5, sometimes 8 mph. I towed two TI's for a few miles at 5 mph. The stock prop is a good match.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Walt:
Yea we tow other TI's all the time also. What seems to work best is if I tie a 30 or so ft line to my rear center AKA brace, then I have them position about 45 degrees behind me (in clean air). I have them tie a slip knot on their front AKA center brace (near the mast). I then have them open their sail and sail taking advantage of the apparent wind I'm creating by our forward motion. If there is a second boat he ties to their boat in the same fashion, (we just use our anchor lines usually). This usually occurs in group sails and I'm trying to bring straglers up from the rear. Usually it ends up being very light winds and we are nose to the wind and the rest of the pack is 3-5 miles ahead of us. Towing one TI I only lose about 1 mph speed (as long as they are sailing using my apparent wind). Instead of them tacking like crazy we generally just head up wind with the wind 15 or 20 degrees off our nose (enough for their mainsail to catch wind and work. Once we catch up with the group we disconnect and everyone continues on together. Obviously if the winds were stronger I think they prefer to sail on their own.
When we tow kayakers we generally inflate our 4 person inflatable boat, we usually throw our gear and coolers in the inflatable. We tow the inflatable directly behind the centerline of our boat about 20-25 ft behind us (this way it doesn't mess up our steering. If there are kayakers along I typically have them hang on to the dingy or we string them in a line behind the dingy. We have tried towing kayaks with them hanging onto the side of our boat, and it typically doesn't work out so well, we can't steer worth a crap with them hanging onto our boat.
Same applies when we troll dragging scuba divers behind the boat (it's a Key West thing). The divers hang on to diving planes. If I tie them to my boat I can't steer at all, but if I tie them to the back of our dingy I can steer just fine. All the dive shops down there sell those diving plane devices.
Needless to say we have a blast with our TI.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On this last outing I also got to test out the Lexan splash guard from a few posts back and the spill proof gas tank. Both worked great.. I did a gas refil with the tank nozzle that you have to press down to get the gas to flow with the auto shut off. You can see in the picture how far I cut that hanger on the valve back (even more than the pictures I had shown previously after I did more testing) and this didnt spill a drop, very easy to use. I know that quart outboard tank will last about 80 minutes or so at about 3/4 throttle so I just watch the clock - every hour do a refil. It takes about 7 seconds to fill the tank so I just hold the nozzle in the tank (pressed down so the valve is open) for just a little longer than this, lift up enough to close the valve, slowly bring the nozzle out - not a single drip.

Also in the picture below is the Lexan spray guard. It seemed to be placed well and cut off all the flow that was washing over that rear round hatch. I had just a few cups of water in the boat this time (about 18 miles traveled, maybe 7 of that motoring) so the guard seemed to make a significant difference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just remade my motor mount and would love to share it with everyone but I'm not sure how to post pics.
Its very solid, and is more than just a motor mount. If you fish from your TI you will love this mount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm excited to see it. Nice if you can email it to me. I can post it for you - [email protected].

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a post from a long time ago on how to add pictures viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

You have to "host" the pictures some other place on the internet first and I dont know what site is best for that. Photobucket is one that works OK.. there is Imgur mentioned in the above post, I know nothing about them.

Once you have the picture hosted (on some web site, not your computer), you need to copy the link to the picture. Paste the link here with it highlighted, then push the "img" button. Check to make sure everything worked with the "Preview" button.

I recently tried using facebook as a host. In facebook, open the picture to full size, the right click "copy image address", paste the image address in your post here with it highlited, the use the img button. FYI, I think you must have the picture on FB with the privacy setting "public"

Alternative.. click the img button first, then past your image address between.[img]and[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rprince,

I had 2 days dreaming about your outboard mount. Tonight will be the third day :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry man, I haven't been on in a couple days. Pictures sent :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's RPrince outboard mount.
RPrince ,
Nice if you can tell us where you bought the parts and how you assembled them. I like it.

https://goo.gl/photos/6SQtzLgSq4o4Vjf47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well as far as the cost of this set up, it can get pricey when using all stainless hardware and heavy duty brackets. I figure its a hobie and deserves the best. I used alot of the ideas from others on this site. I plan on putting together a kit and selling them for anyone interested. The kit will range from 150 to 200 depending on hardware and brackets used. For those that want to take on the project themselves here is a breakdown of parts used.
I used the extruded aluminum on this project do to it being so user friendly and it gives me endless possibilities for mounting other items, such as pole holders, unbrella, a second motor :)

2 ft of 1 1/2 double extruded aluminum (hollow). This is used for the base.
16 inches of 1 1/2 extruded aluminum (hollow). This sits on top of base and is the part the motor mounts to
5 two hole angle brackets. These will go from the gear track rails to the mount in 4 places the 5th is used to attach the motor mount bracket to the base.(5th one is probably not needed but it cleans it up nice and is stronger)
1 single angle bracket.
2 triangle shaped brackets. These tie everything together they are under 2 of the angle brackets and tie the base to the mount arm
1single black end cap
1 double end cap
All these items can be purchased at macmaster carr or you can save all the hassle and order a kit from us :)
The only other items needed would be the gear track with backing plate and 8 mounting studs. Can use 12" to 16" tracks
Happy building :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My next project will be to make a set of hakkas using the same materials. This will give me a rail system all along the outter paremeter of the hakkas. More to come :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rPrince that is a great looking motor mount. The side arm's height is less than I see on other mounts, yet it's not a problem? Seems like the motor might dislodge with a bit of sliding or boat movement. Have you had a chance to water test it? I would purchase something that looked that nice if I were to add a motor. Good job.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next