Phew...!! Haha.... happy furling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Haliboo wrote:
CaptainFlint wrote:
tonystott wrote:
domsilla wrote:
I have a 2011 Tandem Island and the way the sail is rigged only the front seat can deploy and reef the sail. Is that the only way it can be rigged? Is there a way to rig the T.I. so that the person sitting in the back can deploy and reef the sail? Sorry if this is a stupid question or if this has been covered several times before. All responses appreciated. Dom

Easy peasy
1. Uncleat the front mainsheet, and pull it forward until just the end knot is locked in the cleat.
2. This will enable you to pull a extra towards you through the rear cleat.
3. Tie the end of the furling line to the end of the mainsheet (I use a figure eight knot), making an endless loop.
4. You should now be able to handle the sail from the rear seat.

Tony - I'm trying to figure this out but don't understand step 3. I can't figure out how I'm tieing the furling line to the mainsheet. Do you have a pic or video?

Thanks!

It's really simple Cap'n... as Tony says, just tie the two ends together... using 'any' knot. The whole process goes like this worded slightly differently so hope it sheds light on what you're aiming to achieve?

Uncleat the main sheet from both the front and rear cleats, then pull the main (from the rear cleat) as if you were tensioning the sail. This will strip the main through the 'whole' system - STOP before the end comes out of the 'front' cleat - then tie a knot in it and cleat it off (at the front cleat) to prevent it coming out as you will only be operating it from the back seat.
Next take the end of the furling line, and the end of the main sheet (which is now as long as it can possible be) and tie them together (at the end). The only reason to do this is so that the large 'loop' of line will be available whether the sail is furled fully or out fully so that you can grab any part of the continuous loop of line and either unlleat the main or the furling drum or both?

I know a picture paints a thousand words, but I'm afraid I'm stuck out in the middle of the North Sea of the UK coast on a gas platform and too far away from my TI...

H

Thank you. I'll give it a try.