Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

This coming weekend over here in the UK there is going to be an awesome sailing event called 'Bart's Bash'. The aim is to get as many people on the water at the same time racing sailing boats - primarily dinghies!! Two objectives, one to raise money for a charity (the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation), and secondly to break a world record for the number of people participating in a sailing event at the same time - so its a national sailing race.
My local sailing club is participating and are happy for me to enter my Tandem Island. As it is a race they have asked what my PY (Plymouth Yardstick) number is to work out the handicap. I think in the USA you use a D-PN number, which can be converted.
Can anyone help enlighten me on a suitable handicap for the Tandem Island?
Look forward to replies.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hopefully someone else will give you a better answer, but my understanding is the TI is classified as a pedal boat/kayak (not a sail boat) and is not classified by any sailing sanctioning body as a sail boat and has no PY.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To obtain the number, it would have to be sailed sans mirage drive and against other sailboats with the results sent to the U.S. sailing association. Over time a DPN number would be created for it.

My guess, is that a number in the high 80's to low 90's would be appropriate. This is, of course, sans the Mirage Drive. Alternate propulsion is not allowed in any sailing regatta classes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Bob and Tom for your replies.
My apologies about my information about Bart's Bash - this is actually a World-wide event!
I've entered it anyway, it seems a good cause and a whole lot of fun to boot! :D
I'll put my result for the race in the forum - as long as not too embarrassing! :roll: :D

Chris