Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 AI Capsize
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jfrancis99 wrote:
I am planning on practicing my re-entry this weekend on my 2015 AI and am looking for the best way to capsize it in the canals at my house. When I capsize the AI (not sure how I will do this yet) will the sail go nose down or will it lay across the water like a Sunfish would (the canal is around 11' deep)? I plan on doing it with both ama's out (then folding one in while it is capsized), and then seeing the best way to re-entry.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

James

2015 AI
2006 Quest

James, I don't think you are going to be able to capsize an AI/TI with the aka/amas extended unless you are in huge seas or big surf. From my experience and friends, it appears the AI/TI turtles easily when it does capsize. I did not turtle because it was near low tide and water depth was only 6-7'.

walt wrote:
Keith, one thing I thought was interesting about your story is how hard it was to get back up on the boat after you had it back upright. Last year I capsized a C15 (planning dingy) and at age 58 (59 now) the very hardest thing about the recover was simply getting back into the boat after I had it upright. I'm just not as strong as I used to be and that was actually the scariest part of the whole capsize.

Your points are well made, Walt. I'm much older than you (I don't like to talk about it), and strength is a big part of the equation. In addition to having grab lines around the hull and lines or loops to pull the boat back upright, the next thing to have handy will be a rope step ladder (maybe only a loop) so we can get back on the boat.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
the next thing to have handy will be a rope step ladder so we can get back on the boat.

Keith

I think I remember Matt mentioning a safety ladder that they are going to offer as an accessory. It stays in a nice little pouch until deployed and has a hand hold and a foot hold to help get back in the boat.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53978

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am an overweight 69 year old waiting for two spine operations, and I put a bit of thought into a re-entry line. I will try a word-picture.. The reason for the diagonal is that when I tried a loop tied between the two crossbars, my feet tended to swing under the hull.

*Bowline of 8mm braided rope to front crossbar (inboard of the aka joint).
*Slide 10 inch piece of garden hose onto the 8mm rope (easier on the foot)
*Tie a simple knot a bit past the rear crossbar (see next point)
*Bring a bungee cord from the now unused loop on the port side rear (was used to tie down the twist-n-stow rudder not used on TIs) with a snapshackle which tensions the 8mm rope by pulling on the 8mm line from in front of the knot.
* Bring the rest of the 8mm rope out to the outer end of the port rear aka, and tie a bowline to pass around the aka next to the button.

To use, undo the snap shackle (storing the loose end of the bungee around the back seat area (your choice). You now have a strong loop running diagonally from the front crossbar out to the outer end of the rear aka. Adjust the length of the line going to the aka, during testing, so that when you stand on the loop, you almost have your waist at water level, so leaning onto the hull should be doable.

So when sailing normally, the line runs along the side of the hull, and then passes out to the end of the aka, well out of the way. Obviously the line can also be used in the event of a capsize.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great story. I love the moral.

"Speed kills - Hakas save". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Test Capsizes

My good friend, Royd Whedon, took inspiration from my capsize, to test capsize his boat—twice. Royd (aka DancesWithWaves) had another motive for capsizing his fully loaded boat: WaterTribe’s Chief has said that people who enter the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge event must demonstrate proficiency at capsizing and righting their boat, whether it be a kayak or sailboat.

Here is Royd’s description of his 2nd test capsize in Tampa Bay. This description was sent to our “Team”—a group that enjoys Islands and camping.

“Okay, today was the test with a full load. I had full camping gear. Food for five days. 2 and a half gallons of water. Clothes. Repair kit. Extra drive and paddle. I staged the capsize, folded the port ama, full sail, luffing. As I was leaning out, I could feel the extra weight. However, quickly, the boat went over, turtled. It would have gone completely over but for the mast tip digging into the mud again. I meant to take some pics of the capsize but, in my eagerness to escape the shark infested waters of Tampa Bay, I forgot. Hee, hee. I scrambled to the high side and within 5 minutes, I had the boat back over. As I leaned out with my capsize line, I could again feel the extra weight involved. But, she came up quick nonetheless. Nothing lost overboard. All secured. Test successful. Sign on the line. Drank beer the rest of the afternoon. Checked the hull, 3 tablespoons of water. Royd”

Here are a couple pictures of Royd’s righting lines and stirrup to climb back into his boat. He intends to have these lines on his boat at all times. Those of you with a 2015 Tandem or 2015 AI may be wondering where Royd got his handles. Well, his boat is pre-2015. Those boats have handles. Again, Hobie, what a dumb move to remove the handles. It is hard to understand given their convenience and utility.

There was a small casualty of Royd’s first capsize test. One aka had its plastic end plug sheared off. Royd has no idea when, how, or why this happened.

This picture shows Royd’s boat at launch before he went out for his 2nd test capsize.

Tom Turner thanked Royd for “taking one for the team.” I’ll second that.

Finally, Royd did these tests on his own, nobody around. He had the standard safety gear, VHF radio, knife, SPOT, and personal EPIRB attached to his pfd.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great info Keith!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Again, Hobie, what a dumb move to remove the handles. It is hard to understand given their convenience and utility.

Look on the bright side, at least you have a Venturi seat well drain :lol:
( mine were removed at the dealer and never touched water )

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith
I was going to ask a question about changing to cleats on the cargo deck but see that you answered it above.

I just replaced the one that cleats the line for the venturi drain. Seems like a good attachment place for something right next to the seat.

Thanks

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, I was tempted to pull that Venturi drain (the seat speed drain), but I left it in, and it has been just fine. No problems loading onto my trailer with cradles or draining.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
3 of the 4 first AI's I owned had a failure of a aka shear-bolt on their first or second sail. We think it was shipping and handling to Hawaii and finally to Maui, more than a defect. Many changes, including in the packing and handling of the boats in 8 1/2 years, but it still could happen.

Great discussion on a bad event that turned out well, but with much loss of long-time collected and expensive (treasured?) equipment and tools. It could happen to any of us. I'm revising how I carry emergency equipment (again!) with the thought of access while on the water in too-rough conditions, or even while in the water! Like how to get the one needed item without loosing most of the others.

I've got the leashing down (inside the hull and out) after many years (and minor loses) while white-water canoeing. But, I still need to refine, one-handed access to any single piece while keeping the boat controlled in wild conditions or while in the water. With enough work I could get my epirb out of my pelican "ditch" box while in the water, but probably not without loosing most of the other loose important rescue and repair parts, tools and gear in the box.

Be safe out there. I'm glad we are all here to talk about it Keith.

Thanks for your comments, KB. I've convinced myself that it was probably a bad shear pin as you suggest. Fusioneng has suggested that Hobie make a stronger pin by filling the current pin out by replacing the threads. I think that is a good idea.

One of the new things I'm going to be doing is placing all valuable gear (hearing aids, superzoom camera, electric tooth brush, old but very useable glasses, and more), all gear I don't want to lose, in a dry bag in the front hatch--very little chance to lose it.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for sharing Keith and welcome to the club.

I would like to hear of ideas to strengthen the front hatch securing.
Seems to me that the mounting points could let go if we used rope instead of bungee cord.

From my capsize (not in rough water but from sheering the lee bolt hitting another TI) I
now carry, in addition to the many other suggestions, a rope ladder as below. I was able
to climb back in (although also a member of the "older" club at 67) but my wife did struggle
and hopefully the ladder, which flattens down and doesn't take much room, tied to the aka
would help her back into the TI.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ChangeMan wrote:
Seems to me that the mounting points could let go if we used rope instead of bungee cord.

I will look into this. That big front hatch has worried me enought now.
I think I will leave the bungees as is, but put 2 extra ordinary flat straps over from side to side.
Straps that do not stretch. With ordinary buckles.
They don't have to be super tightened at all, just enough to prevent the hatch from moving if gear underneath is moving around.
This should give me a better feeling of safety when going offshore in waves. I have no plans to capsize just for the moment. :roll:

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChangeMan wrote:
Thanks for sharing Keith and welcome to the club.

From my capsize (not in rough water but from sheering the lee bolt hitting another TI) I
now carry, in addition to the many other suggestions, a rope ladder as below. I was able
to climb back in (although also a member of the "older" club at 67) but my wife did struggle
and hopefully the ladder, which flattens down and doesn't take much room, tied to the aka
would help her back into the TI.

@ChangeMan--yes, a ladder would definitely help or a simple stirrup (rope loop) if it works for you. I would have been very happy to have a stirrup handy to get back into my boat. It may clutter up your boat a bit, but it is for that time, which we all hope will never happen--in my case, the next time, which I hope never happens.

@Kal-P-Dal & ChangeMan--here is an image of Jim Czarnowski's AI 2 (2015 AI) at the beginning of the WaterTribe EC 6 weeks ago. Note that he has put in a tie on his front hatch bungee cords. In his case, he was not worried about a capsize, but simply keeping the water out.

You do have to be careful if you put straps across the front hatch cover (some people do), because you do not want to distort that cover. That opens a whole can of worms by corrupting the hatch seal.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been looking at these all rope ladders and these are the best instructions I have found so far on making one. It seems like it would make a very good way to pull the hull back over in a capsize because you would have handholds and footholds. For climbing back into the boat maybe the lower end could be secured to an ama or aka to address the drawback of this kind of ladder swinging under the boat.
Ill post pics when I get one made.

http://www.selfmadesailor.com/index.htm?banner.htm&0

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Rescue Step (Safety)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next