Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI rear seat setup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After I've been fishing the TI for awhile now, I've come up with some issues to solve, so as to make the experience better from the rear seat, regardless of being solo or with another. Usually the other passenger is new to the experience.
So here is my dilemma.
1. Sitting so low in the well on the stock Hobie seat (2013), it's a real pain getting up out of the seat which I find is necessary, often enough, to get at a few things done. It would be nice to be sitting up higher and more comfortable but not too much so as to have the sailing lines become a major issue when sailing. Answer: Think I have this issue licked with a new Attwood seat coming tomorrow.

2. The sailing lines running to the back of the TI are running alongside the rail on the outside of the hull where I like to land or release my fish. A couple of times I've hooked these lines with my Rapala. Would like to move these lines somewhere out of my way. No, can't use the other side of the kayak, there I have the motor mount with the Honda 2.3, rather not get tangled up in the motor, lines or fish.

Answer?: Pull the sailing lines up into the kayak first before bringing the fish in or rerun the main line from the back seat only? Why do we need to have the main line running up front?

3. I decided to get bright and mount my Honda 2.3 to a permanent aluminum mount all the way back just far enough to allow the rear hatch to open. Love it here, maximizes my rear cargo area, but there is just one problem. I now get to much water kicking up from the propeller onto the top of the rudder and thus work it's way in slowly thru the rudder lines. I did add a shield going back far enough to hinder any water kicking up into the rear cargo well. Is there anything anyone is putting on the rudder lines so as to hinder any water from entering into the hull thru these small openings? The water can add up after a day of motoring. Can definitely tell the difference if only sailing, as opposed to motoring, on the amount of water entering the hull.

Some positive observations about the TI over the old AI. Love the extra load I can take out. The TI is definitely the ultimate fishing vessel. Makes for a fun trip to have a passenger along. I like the fact that I can have both tramps out and not worry about having to collapse one ama, so as to land a fish, from the rear seat. The TI can move faster.
The bad, it's definitely more complex than my AI. With the AI, I could do everything from the seat if necessary. Not so with the TI. Can't reach the fishing rods while seated in the rear.

Post subject: Re: TI rear seat setup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For #2, you can do the 3:1 conversion which eliminates one of the sheet lines running forward and makes it easier to pull in the sheet with heavier wind. The handy thing is that the sheet can be run to either the rear or front seat turning block and cleat, whichever you want to use. The TI manual describes the conversion, which is very easy.

My only issue with the conversion has been all the rope overhead when the sail is furled. You wind up with three runs of the sheet between the sail and stern. I notice it a lot more now than I did before for some reason.

Post subject: Re: TI rear seat setup
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RandomJoe wrote:
For #2, you can do the 3:1 conversion which eliminates one of the sheet lines running forward and makes it easier to pull in the sheet with heavier wind. The handy thing is that the sheet can be run to either the rear or front seat turning block and cleat, whichever you want to use. The TI manual describes the conversion, which is very easy.

My only issue with the conversion has been all the rope overhead when the sail is furled. You wind up with three runs of the sheet between the sail and stern. I notice it a lot more now than I did before for some reason.

Thanks RandomJoe, I went ahead and did the 3:1 conversion. I'll try to be mindful to pull up that sheet line up into the kayak so as not to hook it with my lure. That solves for the most part #2 and I did get the Attwood seat which is perfect for #1.

So now I just need to resolve #3. Okay, I see the thread on the rudder grommet issue and using silicone adhesive to try and keep the water entry to a minimum.