Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can someone tell me how to keep my pictures from being rotated or turned upside down on this forum?

Here's one that shows up correctly on my computer, but is altered on this forum

Here's another copy of the same one rotated on my computer in advance in the hopes that I could trick the forum into displaying it correctly. There's no change, so tricking doesn't seem to work.

I've got things to post, but this is bothering me because it's too hard to follow the pictures I think when they are rotated like this. The pictures are being pulled via the Img tag from my website.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Storing your pictures on reddyworks.com is causing the problems (multiple) for your images. Most people use image hosting sites such as Photobucket.com. PB is reliable and give users a generous allotment of free storage.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.... don't get why that should be, but I'll try the other approach...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rotation data is stored in the image's EXIF information. Shouldn't matter which website it's on, unless your web server software modifies the files as it sends them out. I put my images on my own website as well and have had both landscape and portrait images work fine.

What software do you use to view/edit on your computer?

I'm wondering if perhaps your camera doesn't add orientation information (all pics show up on your computer originally as landscape) or perhaps the orientation of the camera confused it (since your test looks like you might have been pointing up at a fairly high angle) then whatever software you used to view and rotate the image just saved that info in a separate file/database rather than adding it to the EXIF info for the image.

You might try a different image editing program to set the orientation. I normally tweak my pics inside iphoto (I use a mac) but also use GIMP (free sorta-Photoshop type program).

This is a portrait orientation image I posted (and host on my own site) a while back:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay, that's interesting... Just tried a bit more...

I saved the image you posted at the top of this thread, then opened it on my computer. It opened in portrait! Checking the EXIF info it looks just fine. It even listed your website URL so I looked at your photos directly from your website and - again - they open just fine in my browser!

So how exactly are you putting the images into your posts? Should just be (minus spaces) [ i m g ] http: // website/url/image.jpg [ / i m g ] with nothing else? That's how I post mine and they show up in the proper orientation...

Edit:
Just viewed the HTML data for this web page and both our images are being inserted in exactly the same way - but yours has the dimensions reversed - which makes it landscape! I'd say it must be something your website does, since the Hobie forum doesn't actually call it. The forum just sends HTML with an < img src= ... > tag embedded and the viewer's computer makes the call to your website.

Your server must (for some reason) be changing the dimensions (swapping 480x640 to 640x480) whenever it sees a request with a referral in it. (If you look in the logs, an entry for someone reading this page will include the URL in the referral portion but for someone going directly to your site the referral portion is blank.) Perhaps a module that is intended to prevent people from "hotlinking" your actual website's images? Rather than blocking them completely they get a rotated image. (Just guessing...!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:56 am 
Site Admin

When using a smartphone the images will orient for viewing on the phone (or associated software on your computer / iPhone and Apple software) just as the orientation was when the photo was taken. When opened with PhotoShop it will orientate to the horizontal that is expected when shooting as a camera.

The forum does not modify orientation.

When I opened your image it viewed as:

I rotated and saved with PhotoShop to:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)