Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Today was the first time I had the AI out in any sort of wind.

It was SW averaging 20, gusting to 27 - bay sailing, boat speed mostly 8-9 on a reach, 6-7 pinching, with a few glimpses of 10-11 broad-reaching in the gusts.

The wind speeds looked like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 2975604082

Fun-factor-wise, I rate windsurfing 9-10, paddling my surf ski 8-9 and, until today, sailing the AI a 1-2.

Today the AI got upgraded to 3-4.

Observations:

• Now I understand what spray skirts are all about -)
  • Ditto the cockpit drain...
  • Seems to me like, over a certain wind speed (and certainly over 20 mph) the Mirage Drive is best stowed in the bow hatch and replaced with the plug. The boat accelerates better and the prospect of hitting a flipper on a crab trap or sand bar at speed is no longer there..... A single-bladed paddle in easy reach gets me out of situations where I would have used the Mirage Drive.
  • I tried my best to pitchpole, (though incompetance, not effort) but no luck. The bow pearled a few times but came back up without my having to depower (actually, more like without my being able to depower...) the sail.
  • The amas seem work just as well when submarining a little - i.e. no sudden reductions in boat speed when they go under.
  • I'm going to spend the big bucks to try 3:1 on the mainsheet.... Under full sail in 20-25 mph wind 2:1 can't be held in the hand (at least in my hand...) and it got jammed into the cleat too hard to be un-cleated conveniently - I had to take it in both hands and yank hard upwards... Not something you want when things are happening fast.... Didn't feel safe to me.
  • The boat goes faster and sails better with the right amount of reef. Too much sail seems to add drag or something... it's not as lively or fast.
  • Speed-wise - for the fun factor - all you really need is enough to surf the wind chop - which seems to be about 6.5 mph - and the AI does that easily on a reach if there's enough wind to kick up surfable chop.
  • There were times when I had significant lee helm. I'm guessing I need to learn how to play the daggarboard better on various points of sail.
  • There were other times when I briefly lost all helm. It was like the rudder had kicked up - but it had not.
  • This thing is heavy..... I weighed each component on a balance scale and the sum was 190#..... Sailing weight is easily 200+ with throw cushion, paddles, drinking water, life jackets and so-forth - especially with a gallon or more of water in the hull like I found after sailing today.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:25 am, edited 24 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree, the islands are fun in high wind. Under 10 knots and it's an exercise mission. We averaged a sedate 5 knots over four hours in 5-10 knot winds with me pedaling the whole time. My first voyage on the TI was in 15-20 knots and I too was considering the 3-1 conversion

Corpus Christi is a very windy place, but since I bought my TI the winds have been light. I'm impatiently waiting for the 15-25 knot winds to return, and our recent red tide to dissipate