Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I need to start thinking about how I'm going to launch my TI in the coming months. We were lucky for our first summer of ownership; back the boat and trailer down the ramp, float it off, and walk it over to the adjacent beach. We'd load and launch from there and it was easy as.

For the next few months, it appears that the local launch has a nice wide ramp but no beach to load on. I think it won't be a problem when there isn't a lot of traffic. Just turn the boat around in the ramp and go. I'm wondering what to do when the ramp gets busy, however. Loading from the dock seems problematic; I'm guessing that the drop from the dock down to the boat will be substantial.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, if you are retired, (1) don't go when the ramp is busy. If the ramp is busy, (2) get everything ready in parking lot: load gear, mast installed & attached to the block & hook, cleat main & furling lines, ama shock cords attached, seats in, back down to the water, float boat off, turn the boat if possible, spread the aka/amas, and you are ready to go. Use your paddles to get away from the dock area. You have your right to your space, but, of course, try to take as little time as possible at the ramp.

That is the way I would try to do it, but, I do option (1), always. No weekend trips unless absolutely forced to.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Loading from the dock seems problematic;

I dont think it will be that big of a deal. I launch from a boat ramp pretty much every time I use the boat, you just need to do things and take as much time as any other boat using the ramp (ie, dont tie up the ramp - most people at ramps are courteous). This is off a trailer and everything is assembled except the pedal drives. Usually I will launch with the amas NOT extended. Back the trailer in and launch. Your feet are going to get wet. If there is a finger dock, just tie off to the finger dock with one ama collapsed (which makes the ramp launch work). Tie up to the finger dock just like any other boat while you park the car. Being able to collapse an ama makes this work so the boat has to be set up to easily do that. At the end of the day, collapse an ama with the sail furled when you get close to the dock to tie up while you go get the auto and trailer.

I also try and avoid busy ramps if at all possible.. Try and be fast.. I saw a small sailboat one time tie up a busy ramp for a long time.. really pissed off a bunch of people.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also do what Chekika and Walt do. I load/prepare the boat on the trailer, back down the ramp, float the boat off, then pull it up on the ramp way off to one side with the amas folded. This way it hardly takes up any space while I park the truck. If the ramp is busy, I make a quick escape by either paddling out backwards or I quickly turn the boat around, pop the mirage drive in, and pedal off. Then while under way, I'll extend the amas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks folks!

Paddles?? egads! I thought we carried those as spares for our less-fortunate brethren...

Rule #1 (avoid busy times) is at the top of my list but I forget what day it is from time to time since they all end in "y". Having an idea of what to do when I find myself in a line will really help.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob:
Actually some boat ramps are too narrow to turn the boat around, what I do is put my mirage drive in backwards and back out away from the dock in reverse, once clear of the dock I flip the mirage drive back around and pedal away, once clear I open the sail and go.

I do the same as the other guys, I set everything up on the boat in the parking lot, then back the boat up to the water fully rigged and just launch. When I get back, I pull the fully rigged boat onto the trailer and pull it onto the parking lot to batten everything down for transport away from the busy launch.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Or get one of these trolling motors with GPS and wireless control! :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I trailer my boat to the parking lot, then I use the heavy duty scupper cart with cradle, in the middle holes. I get everything ready in the parking lot, load the mirage drive in place and then just walk through the parking lot and down the ramp, bow first, push off, pedal out a bit, extend amas, retrieve the scupper cart and take off. Landing is just the reverse. Hardest part is putting the scupper cart under the yak while out in the water. Don't do it too soon as it really creates a lot of drag. Your time at the ramp will be far less than any other user, and you can do it single handed. You can spend all the time in the world in the parking lot getting ready and cleaning up without getting in anyone else's way. I generally get wet about up to my knees doing this. It's pretty easy to sneak in between other trailer users, and you are gone before they even know that you are there. I always ask the next guy in line and explain what I want to do and most folks are Ok with it.

Hobie tramps- black

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

More good ideas!

Thanks!!

As someone who thinks that a semi-smart phone might be a better fit for him, that remote control trolling motor seems to have the makings of real mischief... :mrgreen: :o