Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Intoductions first :D :
Hello, I'm Chris, I'm from the Netherlands and I'm kinda new here. I started out as a sailor in the Dutch navy and am now a civilian but the water seems to be in my bones (haven't become heavier though).
For quite a while now I've been thinking about buying a Hobie kayak but cost has always held me back. Last year I started kayaking and upgraded to a surfski at the beginning of 2020. Since a surfski is mainly an exercise tool and because I want something to relax on the water as well I started looking into buying a Hobie in earnest.
At first I was looking at the Compass/Revo 13, then came the Revo 16 because of (marginally) better speed and better seakeeping. Now however I'm split between the Revo 16 and the Adventure Island.
I know there's a lot of information on this forum comparing the two but since I haven't been able to find the answers to all my questions I'm going to risk questions I could have found the answers to next to those I think are new.
Hope the community is willing and able to help me out :roll: .
Here goes:
- I've always understood that the hulls of both the Revo 16 and the AI (2015 and up) are mostly similar (mast base, kick up centreboard and xbar's being the main difference). If I look on the Hobie webpage under specs the fitted hull weights (34kg vs 46kg) and the total hull length (4.88m vs 5.05m) are different.
* Is the fitted hull weight including chair and mirage drive and why is it such a big difference?
* If not, what is the weight of the hull?
* Why the difference in length?
- Were there any changes made to the AI between 2015 and 2020?
- I can buy a second hand 2015 model AI (including trampolines) that was sold in 2018 to it's first owner for 3950eur (4282 usd) and am hoping to bring it down to 3750eur (4065usd). Is that a realistic price if it's in good condition?
- Does the AI work well as just a kayak?
- How well does it pedal with the ama's attached (I might need to pedal upriver for about 10km to get to open water).

That is all... for now :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

The Revo 16 is the pre-2015 Island hull. Very different.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Revo 16 and current (post 2014 AI) are completelyi different. The Revo 16 hull was used as the base for the pre 2015 AI.

In a nutshell, the pre 2015 AI is the sports car, the TI (all years) is the sedan and the 2015 and beyond AI is the bus.