Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I remember my first Adventure Island and the versatility it brought. Sailing with both outriggers. Effortless kayaking in just the main hull. Standup sight fishing with one outrigger. We did it all. Then I remember things getting a little cramped so I traded for for my dream yak: the Tandem Island. Even faster sailing. More formidable going through the East Central Florida surf, and room galore not only for myself but some friends too! I made a note that one grows out of an AI, but grows into a TI, and that was true. Then.

I sold that TI in 2018 and had been pretty boatless in the interim. A few months ago the itch came back so I picked up another red Tandem Island, this time a 2020. (The first was a 2015.) My previous one came with a trailer. This one didn’t and it may or may not be a factor in my diminished enjoyment using this vessel compared to the identical one from a few years ago. It’s not just the loading and unloading which is probably 3 to 4 times the effort than with an Adventure, but the TI is a beast to pedal, even tandem. And while my previous adventures did not involve much pedaling, I find myself wanting to do more, not to mention do less wrangling this unwieldy beast.

So; have any of my fellow Islandites made the switch back, and if so, how was it? Are you content? Do you feel inadequate in certain areas now; wishing for that extra 2’ and 100lbs? Do your backs wish you’d made the change sooner? I’m in my mid 50s, over 6’ and 200lbs and in good shape, but as time goes by, don’t have the energy shall we say, to put in what I perceive as unnecessary effort.

Or should I just add a trailer and an Adventure kayak and have it all?

What say you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had both for a while and saw very little reason to keep the single. But both had a trailer so launching was never an issue. I found the single to accelerate better but have a lower top speed, which is sort of an oxymoron in these boats. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally, I would never downsize to an AI. I think the TI is the right size, and even a bit too small, for the sailing I do. And I wouldn't give up the passenger seat for the times I take someone else. I've never owned an AI, so I don't have that perspective, but the size of the TI has never bothered me. In fact, in large bodies of water and in difficult conditions, I'm very grateful for its size.

That said, I can't imagine trying to wield it around without a trailer. There's no way I would even attempt that. I very carefully consider the "hassle factor" for any boat I purchase. If the hassle factor is too great, the enjoyment significantly diminishes. With a trailer, the TI is a breeze to launch and retrieve.

Of course, this is highly subjective and others may have an entirely different view. You need to decide for yourself based on your own criteria.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Boatless….. yea….a place I would not want to go!

I have owned and sailed both the Hobie Adventure Island (AI) and several Tandem Islands (TIs). I like you started with the AI but moved up to the TI. No urge to go back to the AI (also Hobie discontinued this kayak).

Looking at your post, your main pain points are:
- Transporting and moving your 2020 TI without a trailer…loading and unloading…. Takes time & effort
- Effort to peddle the TI
- Wanting to do more….

Contributing factors:
- Sailing in coastal conditions (East Central Florida)…. Do not know where….Indian River, Port Canaveral, Coca Beach…. All have tides and currents to deal with
- Age – in mid fifties…. “as time goes by, don’t have the energy….”
- Good shape
- Size over 6’ and 200 lbs

My recommendations:

1. Stay with the TI – better fit for your sailing conditions, size (height and weight)

2. Get a trailer for the TI. When I was younger I car topped my AI but got a trailer when I moved up to the TI. I am on my second TI trailer. Decided to go with a low to ground aluminum utility trailer (Sport Haven 6 X 10). Launching the TI is a dream….floats off and floats on plus room for extra gear or a second kayak.

3. Get a motor for your TI. There are several good options for the TI (both electric and gas). Options include: (electric: Torqeedo 1103AC, ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus, Newport NK300, gas: Suzuki DF 2.5hp short shaft). Recommend reading pro10is in depth post on this subject. Do not go less than 2.5 hp and do not go over 3 hp.

4. Get choosy and pick days with favorable wind speeds. I shoot for wind in the 10-20 mph range.

5. Get choosy with locations…. I shoot for sailable water where I can do reaches all day long with minimal up wind sailing against the wind. As is well know - the AI/TI do not do well into the wind.

6. Get choosy with tides and currents….. I plan sails where outbound I am moving with the current and the return leg is also with the current

7. If one of the points 4-6 above (wind, location-reach sailing, tides-currents) crap out…. And it usually does….this is where the motor kicks in to make the day safe and enjoyable. If 2 of the 3 points or even 3 of the 3 points above crap out…. The motor becomes a life saver. Gain experience with sailing....reduces the times you need to use the motor. With items 4-6 working in my favor....I rarely use the motor.

8. I never sail my TI without the motor in coastal conditions. I consider the motor a life jacket for my TI…. A critical safety component. I am currently sailing with my 4 year old 2.5 hp Suzuki outboard.

9. Get a dry suit to extend your sailing season to year round - a life saver also

10. Research where you are going to sail with nautical charts, tides, weather before you sail.

I have over 10+ years on your age, and have been enjoying my TI sailing with adopting the above recommendations and hope (Lord willing) to continue for many more years ahead.

Reference my YouTube channel videos if you wish to see any of the points 1-10 in action.
https://www.youtube.com/@seewind

Hope this helps!
Enjoy your TI!

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure an AI could handle the use we put our TI through.

18km's to the fishing grounds from my nearest boat ramp in Sydney / Australia - 500m up the road and use a dolly to drag the thing every time, live in an apartment so no trailer. Still no issue, keeps you fit and I'm also 52. The one thing is storing in the garage, taking it apart etc and a place for every part can be a little bothersome after 10 hours fishing/sailing. Still I manage to do this very weekend as who doesn't love sailing and fishing on these babies !!!! :D

I must admit having spent 10 hours fishing yesterday in 30knot winds, I actually feel safer on the TI than I would in a boat. Watched some guys near me on boats having a horrible time ! :D When I was done, furl the sail a little, make sure everything is tied down, and crank it home.

Believe it or not, you actually get used to man handling the TI after a while, becomes second nature. Just make sure you use a the heavy duty dolly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gee guys, thanks for the unsolicited sailing tips. I mustnt’ve made myself clear though not sure how. Lemme try again.

*Ahem*

Has anyone gone back to the Adventure Island AFTER sailing and loving the Tandem Island solo in big waters and little, and if so are you content with the AI?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

no