Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last fall while at my partner's family's house I tried a hobie SUP with MirageDrive. They also had a tandem kayak. I've wanted both a small sailboat and a kayak/canoe for a while, and thought the pedal drive system was amazing. I looked at Hobie's lineup and found the TI, and immediately said that was the boat for me.

I've been saving money and I'm ready to buy one. There didn't seem to be a lot here in the midwest used when I checked last fall, but before pulling the trigger on a 2024 from an online dealer, I did a quick check and found this one on Craigslist: https://racine.craigslist.org/boa/d/zio ... 78329.html

It's a 2016 TI. Asking price is $8500. Appears to be in decent condition from the pics. It comes with:
  • Trailer - Modified harbor freight. Has the Hobie cradles, a spare tire, and a storage box.
  • Trampolines
  • Splash Guards
  • Electric trolling motor and battery
  • DIY PVC sail riser which is also the trolling motor mount
  • Lowrance Hook fishfinder with transducer
  • DIY benches on the Akas

With a new model I was also planning a cheap trailer from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, slightly modified. I estimate that buying a 2024, getting a trailer, trampolines, splash guards, and a fishfinder would run me $10,900. I had no plans on buying a trolling motor but I'd certainly try it and probably keep it if it came with one.

Questions I have:
  • What should I look for when I inspect it? I saw a post saying to open the hatch and look for any plastic cracking around the sail mount, and also around the drive units. What else should I pay specific attention to?
  • I saw the Hobie manual recommends you tie the hull and amas separately when trailering. The pictures show ratchet straps going from the trailer, over the ama, hull, other ama, and down to the trailer, which is what Hobie recommended NOT to do. How big of a deal is this? What would I check for to ensure this did not damage anything? For example, if there's hull deformation, how would I check that if I have never seen one of these in person before?
  • If the inspection is good, does the asking price seem reasonable?

Not sure why the list items show up in font so big, so apologies for the font size mismatch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can only tell you about the strap over ama/hull/ama on a trailer:
It will damage the ama and hull where they rub against eachother
Look at inside about half way of ama
I don’t see it as a big deal

Open the drain-plug at the back of the ama’s, they should be dry at the inside,
The inside of the hull can be whet

Hull deformation?
All the lines of the boat shoot be smooth and straight, iff there is a deformation you will see a dent ( which isn’t there on the other side of the hull or ama

Don’t forget to check the underside for damages

Can not tell you about prices, i am in a diffrent country so other prices

Have fun on the water
Peter (very happy AI sailor)