Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeffreydc wrote:
What is the largest outboard anyone has tried or heard of for the TI? I am interested in putting one on mine for those long days after fishing when I am too tired too paddle/pedal 10 or more miles back home and there is no wind blowing. I have seen the videos of 2.3 to 2.5 outboards on the AI but was wondering if anyone has tried a 3.5 up to 6hp on a TI.

I've tried a lot Of Motors on my TI. both. electric and gas. I once had. a 3 horsepower. outboard It was too heavy and too powerful for the T I's plastic hull. While, it got the. speed. up to 7 mph, the hull was Planeing poorly. From my experience. 2.5 to. 3 horsepower is the maximum. for the TI You would be surprised how far and fast you couldyou go witonly 3 horsepower electric motor. That would be my recommendation. For more information, please see my. extensive posts. on motors for the TI in this forum.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Kieth:
Using probably too many words, I was trying to show jeffreydc a way to figure out for himself that adding a big motor to a TI is a big waste of time and money, and if he is unhappy with his performance and wants to add a safety factor (emergency motor) like I did, and/or get better performance in light winds there are ways to make it all work to your advantage. That's all

leelanauX: if you run nitro fuel in your engine be careful the fuel may melt your AMA's, plus make sure you run your tuned exhaust way behind the boat because the nitro fumes burn your eyes really bad. Try adding foils, with a 20" pitch prop I see no reason you can't get 100mph plus out of your TI. You will need one foil on each AMA, then one in back (like a three point hydroplane). I can calculate the foil design and size requirements if you need me to. Hey if you pump that Verado up to 1000hp I'm not sure the lower unit is up to the task. Also when taking off I would have to climb way out on the bow to keep from standing the boat upright when accelerating from a dead stop, you will likely need to do the same. ( Hope this helps you, send us video)

Bob

Outboard Motor / Hobie TI Application Guide & 403 Comparison