Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pretty damn awesome, just a quick question do the prop blades spin or fold in when your speed becomes more than the motor can produce and if not i would recommend upgrading the prop to folding blades. This would stop drag when using it as a rudder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

something like these...

http://www.max-prop.com/max-prop-advantage.html

or these

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/bruntons-propellers/folding-propeller-for-racing-sailboat-br-2-blades-shaft-drive-or-saildrive-21512-59485.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone though about hooking up the eVolve with some solar panels, you mount on the tramps of an AI? I think it would be great to create a solution where the solar panels are charging the battery on the way. This would allow AI fans to really do long legs even against the wind or other situations, which make sailing not the best choice.

Also, I really love the idea of having a watercraft, which does not require any fuel and does not impact the nature we all love so much.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Torsten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Miami_AI,

I sure have! These 20W & 100W flexible, rolling solar panels caught my eye some time ago. Probibly need a regulator or battery tender of some kind.

Specs: http://www.supesolar.com/solar-power-sy ... -panel.htm

Roll that out in the AZ sun (or FLA, as the case may be). 8)

The folding unit has a much better operating voltage for this application: http://www.supesolar.com/solar-power-sy ... -panel.htm

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SedonaAI,

great that I am not the first one thinking about this opportunity! Did you also do the math to see how many panels you might need to charge the batteries and how it would extend your battery power?

Cheers,
Torsten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was also thinking it would be a good idea, the problem is that the battery is not a standard voltage, so you would have to have a very customised set up and could not use an off the shelf system as they all run at either 12 or 24 volt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Solar power would be great, though what I use is a portable powerpack (Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack). It fits in the front hatch and allows me to give the battery 2 more full charges. At 12 miles/charge I am able to do multi day trips with a total range of 36 miles + whatever effort I choose to put into the pedals/sail.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, here's what I'm thinking of for the AI, a bracket of some sort attached to the rear ama mount on one of the sides (I'd put it on the left side, but right would work too). The eVolve drive could plug into the bracket much like it plugs into the Mirage well, it would be in reach of the seated occupant, so it could be switched from the well to bracket as desired.

When in the bracket, unlike the mirage well, it could automatically rotate up if it hit the shallows, or by hand to pull it out of the water. When in downward drive position it could be used along with the mirage drive and sail too.

Here's a rather crude photoshop of what I have in mind ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

good spot for it, but still no reason to use the evolve instead of the standard torqueedo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ChaosDave wrote:
good spot for it, but still no reason to use the evolve instead of the standard torqueedo.

Well, I like that the eVolve drive is designed for the AI, doesn't have that weird tower bridge draw string tilt crane kludge, and can be used in the mirage well in "stealth mode". And with the new mount I suggested could be easily swapped to the side mount position pretty much on the fly.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChaosDave wrote:

Unless you wanted to use the Mirage Drive at the same time - perhaps battling a strong current?