Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Planning to release the introduction page tomorrow.

:D :D :D Great

Won't be long now and Roadrunner will have one of his in depth reviews of the boat which are always informative. :P

It will be nice to put an end to speculation of the boats dimensions and features. Then we can focus instead on speculation of its performance and how to "personalize" it with rod holders, spray skirts and other goodies :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm really looking forward to seeing this new boat. Will you post the details here or on the company's webpage? And what time tomorrow? Can't hardly wait.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys crack me up. :lol:
"...put an end to speculation...", "pretty please", and "Santa Matt" :lol:

But I can't make too much fun because I am equally addicted and have been often refreshing this page. :wink:
FYI, there is a very nice pic already posted in the main Australian site right now:
www.hobiecat.com.au/

Looking forward to seeing the specs. I'm particularly curious about the sail area and how it compares with the AI's 57.5 ft^2. If the tandem performance is impressive, I will be keen on getting one as soon as it is available. I also hope to be able to swap in my i14T's V2 turbos, so that I don't have to get an extra set.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Although I don't have an AI they look intreaging, I would love to try one. They posted specs for the 2 seater now.

Specifications
Length: 5.46 m 18' 6" Width:
(Amas Extended)
(Amas Retracted)
3.05 m
1.22 m
10'
4'
Rigged Weight: 86.18 kg 190 lbs Capacity: 272 kg 600 lbs.
Sail area: 8.4 sq m 90 sq ft Mast Height: 5.49 m 18' 2"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Site has just been updated >>> http://www.hobiecat.com/adventure-islan ... sland.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Page is up! Linked from the front page of the site.

http://www.hobiecat.com/adventure-island/models_tandem_island.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It looks great! Will the rudder fit the single AI? The centre board also looks good, doesn't look as though that will swap over.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:30 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The Tandem AI rudder will not fit the single. We do not recommend any retrofitting for this because the transom and rudder housing on the single Island are not designed to support such a large rudder.

The centerboard is an entirely new design and can not be swapped to the single either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks really good.

Do you have information (or at least an estimate) of the weight of the hull? I'm wondering how feasible it will be to cartop. At 190 lbs. all up I'm thinking that a trailer may be the way to go?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

“Two retractable amas that fold up against the side of the boat, again with the simple pull of a line, for easy docking, maneuverability, and transport.”

Really? Looking at the photos, I can’t seem to make out this feature.

Sure would like to see a close-up of the attachment/pivot area of the aka’s and crossbars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Rigged Weight: 190 lbs. / 86.18 kg”

Any idea what the main hull weighs, less the rigging?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Sail Area : 90 sq. ft. / 8.4 sq. m”

Bet she goes faster than the AI single… How much faster?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Dual steering – steering tillers in front and rear cockpits that are tiller-extension ready”

More information on the “tiller-extension ready” part please…

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Patience... some of this is not finalized yet.

I have no information on the tiller yet.

I don't know the weight of separate parts, but know that you "can" car top.

A trailer for the Tandem is likely a good idea. Sure makes transport and launching easier.

Speed is related to hull length (water line) and the Tandem has more sail. No data on speed difference yet. Fastest when sailed solo though.

That "line" about the amas folding with the pull of a line... is from old island text and incorrect. Must have been from very early marketing assumption that never panned out. I have changed both pages to remove that.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks "Santa" Matt.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

https://sites.google.com/site/kbotherpages/christmas-card-2009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt

Sure is a great looking boat. I did a scale comparison of the tandem side by side with the Adventure hull.

The tandems front cockpit is about the same length as the Adventure cockpit 4' measured from seat pegs to top of the front kickplate. The tandems rear cockpit seems also to be almost the same 4' in length. The beam and thus the cockpit width on the tandem is a few inches wider.

By comparison the Sport's cockpit is about 3' 6" in length.

Nice to see the tandem have ample legroom.

Using the same scale the amas appear to be 13' 6" about 5' longer than the Island amas. We guessed amas were pretty long on this baby.

I'd swear that the distance between the ama cross braces is 5' - the same on both Island and tandem. The amas extend at close to same distance also, 112" Island - 120" tandem, but tandem hull is ~4" wider. Meaning, I guess the tramps now available should fit the tandem.

Sure appears in all the pics that Hobie is using the improved aka brace hinge (dubbed the "knuckle" by some)

No mention if Hobie will offer a kayak only version of the 18' 6" tandem - maybe it is just too heavy or maybe too skewed toward being a great sailing craft.

I'm impressed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reconlon

Thanks - a picture was needed :)

The main front hatch is different on the 2 boats.

Another interesting difference is the diagonal aka braces on the new tandem are backwards to how the Island is set up. :?: On the Island the braces are in the way of the tramps. On the tandem the brace location puts them out of the way. Wonder if that reduces any accidental ama collapses?

Forward motion/pressure would press in on the cap/ball brace on the new boat. The old island's forward motion would pull down and out on the cap/ball brace.

Interesting......Wonder if one could mod the Island - flip the rear akas around and mount a new ball/brace behind the seat? No brass inserts there but a mounting plate could be used.

Last edited by Yakaholic on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next