Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

new owner saying g'day from the land down under , a couple of weeks ago i came across these yaks on the internet , very interesting i thought ,
got onto the local hobie dealers site found there was a fishing comp in the area in a few days time , so off i went hopeing to have a stickey beak at one of these ai's , drove around to woody point and there sailing out from sailing club was a golden papaya ai , what luck !
well , down i went and introduced myself , after a chat he said i could take it for a pedal , all went well , back to shore another chat , then he says i can take it for a sail , i've sailed before , all went well .....a bit off putting at first being so close to the water , but fun.
I helped him derig , load it onto the ute and just before leaving he say's he might be selling it because he can not decide if he likes it or not , he's used to a more powerfull catamaran , has only used this yak a couple of times , so i suggest exchanging phone numbers , that was a week ago ......today i ring him , yep he wants to sell .
I pick it up monday , ye harrrr !!!!!!!!
tuesday i leave for Hervey Bay for xmas / new year holidays , hope the weather's fine and the sailing's even better .
Merry xmas and a happy new year to all . :) :o :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

welcome to the AI club...

here are a couple of clips taken earlier this year on Fraser island

http://yakass.net/videos/37-josh-yakass ... on-09-fish
http://yakass.net/videos/38-carl-astro- ... sland-clip

more and more AI's are appearing on the water...enjoy harvey bay...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good find. I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of your new AI.

Post some pics when you get back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome jibsail. I'm sure you will love it. I think what we all love about the AI is it's versitility. It may not be the fastest trimaran or fastest kayak but I'm tak'n mine for a kayak today, and if the wind picks up, I'll take it for a sail tomorrow. The group outings are also great so keep in touch and hopefully we can catch up on one.
Look'n forward to seing your photos.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
It may not be the fastest trimaran or fastest kayak but I'm tak'n mine for a kayak today, and if the wind picks up, I'll take it for a sail tomorrow.

There wouldn't be too many faster sit-on -tops, when it's in Adventure mode.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You lucky dog, can I ask what model & how much?

Ive only just joined this site the other day but been scowering it for weeks. Ive been awestruck with these bad boys ever since I saw them on AKFF & now even more so after I was offered a spin on one (Thanks Rosco). Definately gettin a tandem when they hit the shores but if a single comes up at the right price Ill be happy to liberate someone of it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just back from holiday , had some good sailing days about 15 knts of wind in the afternoons , i got 6.2 knts on the gps, beam reach with a passenger , so i hope to get a bit more out of it sailing solo ,
my brother lives one street back from the esplanade in hervey bay queensland so i'd wheel the ai down to the beach nearly every day and away i'd go , tooooo easy ,
the nacra catamaran national championships were on at the time so there was plenty to see , cats , windsurfers , kitesurfers all going considerably faster than us but who cares we were having fun .
in reply to bongorust the ai is 2007 model in good condition i paid $3000 , i'm happy with that ,
i recently noticed an ai for sale in the classified adds on this forum , i think it's situated in brisbane .
i had a great sail on moreton bay this afternoon , going back again tomorrow .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Goodo, welcome to the wet-arse club!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are visiting Sydney area 3/19-28/10 and looking to find AI's to rent borrow or cost share somehow so we can see some of the waters down there. We are also rowers looking for a sliding seat double to use on same basis. If any one can help us it sure would be appreciated.

We have sailed here in Oregon and in Florida Bay and know how well the boats work for seeing a new place.

Any suggestions or ideas please let us know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jibsail,
if you get this, please give me a ring on 0431 310 686. I sail at Woody Point in my Papaya AI often and in other places around South East Queensland.

I also thinking of sailing upriver from Colmslie to West End one Saturday or Sunday. Wanna come?

I also have one for sale if anyone is interested.