Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New AI on order
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ordered one last week. I had been searching for a used one for a while, but the prices they were getting didn't seem to be worth the risk inherent in buying used. I think I payed about 450 more than a four year old one on ebay that I was bidding on eventually got.

Anyway, I have been sailing a variety of boats in South Florida for a few years now, including a Revolution, that I rigged for sailing, but sold about a year ago. It was too sluggish a sailor, even with the jib I rigged on it. I'm looking forward to trying the AI out, and am happy to find a location to go to with so much information and so many like minded folks to swap stories with. I know Keith, through another sailing board, and look forward to joining him on some of his adventures down here in South Florida. I'll just have to get him and his friends to, occasionally, accommodate my non-retired schedule. It seems like most of the folks I sail with are retired and have the luxury of planning trips whenever they feel like it. That will have to wait a few more years but, Keith, if your listening, my schedule is pretty flexible, for a working stiff. I sounds like there are a few more AI sailors in the area,as well. We should get some events going down here. I'm sure some snow bound AI sailors would come down during the winter months.

Hope the thing gets here soon.

Ted

Post subject: Re: New AI on order
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Ted.

I am in Palm Beach County and have a AI on order too. The Tandem version. Give me a call at 200-4018.

Marc

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cool, Mark. It's getting too late in the year for expeditions, but I am thinking about pulling a fishing licence and trying to launch into the ocean. There is a location where one can beach launch in Delray Beach, but don't know of any others. Going out of Jupiter Inlet is another possibility, as is Ft Pierce Inlet. I'll let you know when my ship comes in.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ted (& Mark),

Great to hear you are going to have an AI!! I've been "out of touch" recently. We just did the Big Bend Paddle Trail--it is a 105-mile trip. We did it in kayaks (this was my 3rd time), but seriously thinking of doing it in the AIs next year. It would be a good trip for you because you can do parts of it. The downside of the whole trip (9-day) is that you are supposed to stick to their (FL Wildlife Comm) rather rigid schedule--but I think there are ways around that to some degree. In any case, tentively plan some time for all or part of it the last half March 2011.

I would love to get out and do some serious blue water fishing, but I am new to that stuff--basically don't know anything!

After the Big Bend trip, I went to Mexico on a "dental tourism" trip.

I'm looking forward to seeing you fellows on the water (or in camp.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Keith. Due to a pinched nerve in the neck, I can't do more than about 2 hours of straight up paddling. That is a big reason for the interest in the AI. It takes in my love of kayaking and sailing, while giving relief to the back pain associated with the bad cervical disks. I could have surgery, but I've heard too many horror stories about that, and the only time it bothers me is when I am paddling. I'll get with you about my time off in December so we can try to get something up on this board regarding a nice winter expedition.

Maybe this summer we can organize a day trip over to Elliott Key, or a hotel trip out of one of the Keys.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Ted.

Got my Tandem. Would like to try to launch directly into the ocean. Give me a ring if you are available to help me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I figured as much. Mine was on the same truck, but I have been out of town. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'll give you a call and we can break them in somewhere around here. There is a place on the south end of Delray Beach where you can launch into the ocean, or we can do a shakedown on Lake Mangonia or in the inter coastal. I want to get down to Biscayne Bay as soon as possible. That is a great place to sail these things. I'm at 964-6065.

Ted